My new smokepole

Greyman

I just ran across this at an estate sale. 54 cal TC Hawken. Other than some minor handling marks, it's perfect. I'm not sure if it's ever been fired. The nipple looks new and there is absolutely no carbon underneath it. The barrel was dusty but a dry patch wipe removed some old lube and dust with no black residue at all, even at the bottom of the breech. Got it for $300. I didn't have the heart to try to haggle.
KIMG0577.jpg

Most of the men in my family would all meet for the primitive weapons hunts on our WMAs when I was a kid. Both of my uncles carried that exact rifle and sling. Just seeing one still brings back memories and the smell of powder.
+1
c.png

BB.jpg

It's on my list to start hunting with an old hawken or maybe even a flintlock one of these days. Something I've always wanted to do.

Great find, that's a nice looking rifle. If that is a wooden ramrod you should replace it with a carbon fiber one immediately. I had one on my muzzleloader and when I got a ball stuck in the barrel the ball puller came right off when trying to screw into the lead ball.

I hunted nothing but mz in NM, when I lived there, as I did not want to deal with the cf mess. I killed deer and elk both, before they allowed in-lines and scopes. Mz hunting is definitely not the same, now. I use an in-line now, because it gives me another option and the scope lets me do it. I can no longer see open sights well enough. I still have a TC Renegade, 54, with a custom conical barrel that collects dust, because I can't use it.

Nice rifle! Gotta love those old TC’s. Being from PA, we always have a tradition flintlock season for a few weeks after Christmas. It’s about the most fun (and frustration) that could be had deer hunting. Usually a bunch of us gang up and get the herds moving, but they’re super weary by that time of year so it’s not easy. Kinda makes it rewarding when you do get one.

This is one I built a few years ago, 54 cal with a 46” swamped octagon barrel...so I don’t have to get so close. Too bad the PGC won’t let me put a Leupold CDS it!😂
F575B958-894B-44C6-B28D-8F98B795BAFE.jpeg

Good luck and hopefully it’ll serve you well!

Nice find, especially unfired! Shot my first deer with a 45 TC Hawken, wish I had bought a 50 cal. Bought the gun after watching "Jeramai Johnson". Bore is now corroded, despite my best efforts to keep it clean, shot black powder mostly.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back