My IdahoHunttalkers Quick info needed...

Moosie

Grand poopa
So, We scheduled the Scout troop for a Cabin Next Friday (Jan 28th) for an over nighter. For some long winded story it ended up falling through. I'm lookning for a place to stay with about 24 boys and adults (total)on the night of Jan 28th.

We kicked around the idea of building snow caves or Sheep hearders tents but we can't leave town till almost Dark and building soemthnig liek that in this weather might make for a crappy evening...... And I'm a wuss ;)

Anyone have any contacts that wouldn't cost me 2 arms and a leg to keep that night going ?

Any idea's ?!?!

Moose go with the tents! We've done a couple that turned out real fun. Most of those kids will never get the experience of staying out in the winter unless someone finally does it with them. We've done wall tents in the winter with them and that worked out well. We made sure that the leaders tent had the wood stove:D

The nice thing about having the stove in one is that you can eat your breakfast in it if it's wicked cold.

I'd say you better keep it planned and figure out a way to tent it. They will always remember those camp trips and the things you've taught them.

Tent it bud!
Just remember than low in a draw will get bitter cold. I remember our scout trips that were cold winter outings much more fondly than lazy summer outings.

No help here. My dad was telling me though that they won't allow wood stoves in tents anymore on scouting trips because somebody burned a tent down on one and then tried to get the scouts to pay for the damages. Maybe that's a local thing though. The scouts where I live just got done doing an overnighter in a cave that worked well for them.

no help here, unless you wanna borrow my big tent, not all that good for warm, though.

man talk about the memories this has brought up. That was the best time camping in the winter with the scouts. setting up in the dark would suck though but you could just make a day trip out of it. good luck and have fun.

If you want to snow cave, go up the weekend prior (tomorrow) and dig the caves. Otherwise, tents on snow work great.

It may be too late to get one but the USFS offers Yurts that can be hiked/skied into.

We always brought a couple of bales of straw on winter campouts. For the scouts with good equipment we would lay a tarp on the snow. Fluff up some straw and bed into the straw. We stayed out down to 0 F and nobody ever complained.

We got a hold of a cabin.... Thanks for the Idea's though. We are gonig to have them build a Snow cave while out there. Should be fun times !!

Make them build the snow cave and then sleep in it so you can have the cabin to yourself.

Moosie,
Do the scouts use tree wells for emergency shelter anymore? Back in the day (covered wagons) that is what they taught us. Just wondering..... As times have changed.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back