My antelope season

ElkRx

This was the first year for me to try and hunt an antelope buck. I had two tags in different units and spent a large part of my free time this summer scouting and trying to spot and stalk with a bow. I came extremely close several times, but was never able to seal the deal. However, I went into the rifle season feeling very confident about finding a nice buck on public land, plus my neighbor offered to let me hunt on the ranch where he worked.

My first buck. Had him down just after shooting light on the first day, then cut up and in the freezer by noon. I have never had a hunt go so smooth:D

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 500
Second buck

This buck was not as smooth as the first. I spent the first part of the season hunting elk and waited to go after this guy. By the time I made it out to my spot that I usually find antelope, I found nothing but gut piles. I got skunked two more trips after that. Then with a little encouragement from another hunt talker I decided to venture out and try some new spots. Finally on the last day I was going to able to hunt I found this guy, and couldn't be happier!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 486
My try at Taxidermy

Not great but it saved me $150.

Attachments

• 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 467
Of course its Wyoming haha. I have to get there. Next year i may need some guidance on how and where to go. Just looking for some freezer meat. Dont need the horns.
Congrats by the way on some nice goats.

Looks like your time was well spent.

One suggestion I might offer is to either buy a lighter colored jacket or sit to the side of your critter when taking pictures. At least on my screen I cannot see the horns on either buck.

Just a suggestion and worth what you paid for it. :)

Great buck and nice job with the skull. Looks like he's got some nice mass. It looks like you might have had a little trouble with nasal passages. If so, you may take a look at Buzz's instructions in http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=244793 (Post #22). Mine have turned out great following the direction he provided.

thanks for posting that link. I have a few in the freezer that need attention.

With the goats, do you take the horn sheath off the base? If so, any tricks to that? I have a goat head to do.

With the goats, do you take the horn sheath off the base? If so, any tricks to that? I have a goat head to do.

Stick the whole skull in the water for about 15 minutes and you should be able to pull the horns off. I Gorilla Glue mine back on and finish them with a light coat of WD-40.

cleaning method

Great job on all accounts.

What method did you use on your skull cleaning?

I used pretty much the same method that Buzzh uses. There is a link to it a few posts above yours. You can also buy the Sal Soda from walmart. Sal Soda is Sodium Carbonate and is also the same thing as Arm and Hammer brand "Super Washing Soda". I did not degrease the two antelope skulls, but did degrease the elk and still ended up with some yellowish spots. I think one key aspect is to heat the water so that it is hot and you can see the little bits of flesh moving around, but not to the point of a boil. For removing the sheaths I put them in the hot water for about 20 min and they pulled right off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back