My 2014 CO Wilderness Bull.

SHEDZILLA

This past September found me back in my favorite piece of High country wilderness area again. This area has produced 4 archery bulls for me in the last 4 yrs. It is just one of those spots you dream of finding. Lots of rutting bulls and i have only ever seen 2 other hunters... In a Colorado OTC unit!!!!
This bull started bugling about 9am and by 10 there were 4 bulls fired up in the dark timber bugling back and forth. I waited for the thermals to get stable and then just stalked within 60 of this bull and watched him bugle from his bed until after lunch!! a calf finally got up and started feeding down the mountain below him and got him out of his bed. he started down the mountain leaving no shot.... i broke a few twigs and cow called softly and he charged in to 22 yds bugling in my face. Then he turned to look back down the mtn and i sent an arrow through both lungs and watched him fall within sight.... He died within a few hundred yards of the bull i killed last yr.

I took my dad along this year and he had a blast and had lots of action but didnt release an arrow. I also had my trusty packgoats along as well. For me, getting 6-8 miles into the wilderness away from any horse trail is absolutely invaluable in a heavily hunted state like colorado. And the packgoats make getting gear in and the meat out, a whole lot easier!!!!
Anyway.. heres a few pics.

And this yr i drew a unit 52 New mex tag! and Arizona 22n late tag... Its On!!

Attachments

• P1010274.jpg
    P1010274.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 982
  • P1010271.jpg
    P1010271.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 981
  • P1010312.jpg
    P1010312.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 981
  • P1010314.jpg
    P1010314.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 980
  • P1010319.jpg
    P1010319.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 985
  • P1010317.jpg
    P1010317.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 995
  • P1010261.jpg
    P1010261.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:
Congrats! (on the elk and the tags this year)

I had 3 goats on this trip... I have 5 now. but each goat can carry approx 40-50lbs of deboned meat. so me and the goats take an entire bull out in one trip.

Great report, thanks! Love the goats and that's a decent load they can carry.

Those are the stories that I like to read. Getting away from potential high pressure and being consistent. Great job!
Nice bull and photos!

Good post, good pics, and great bull!
Congrats!
Look forward to this year's stories...best of luck.

This past September found me back in my favorite piece of High country wilderness area again. This area has produced 4 archery bulls for me in the last 4 yrs. It is just one of those spots you dream of finding. Lots of rutting bulls and i have only ever seen 2 other hunters... In a Colorado OTC unit!!!!
This bull started bugling about 9am and by 10 there were 4 bulls fired up in the dark timber bugling back and forth. I waited for the thermals to get stable and then just stalked within 60 of this bull and watched him bugle from his bed until after lunch!! a calf finally got up and started feeding down the mountain below him and got him out of his bed. he started down the mountain leaving no shot.... i broke a few twigs and cow called softly and he charged in to 22 yds bugling in my face. Then he turned to look back down the mtn and i sent an arrow through both lungs and watched him fall within sight.... He died within a few hundred yards of the bull i killed last yr.

I took my dad along this year and he had a blast and had lots of action but didnt release an arrow. I also had my trusty packgoats along as well. For me, getting 6-8 miles into the wilderness away from any horse trail is absolutely invaluable in a heavily hunted state like colorado. And the packgoats make getting gear in and the meat out, a whole lot easier!!!!
Anyway.. heres a few pics.

And this yr i drew a unit 52 New mex tag! and Arizona 22n late tag... Its On!!
What are the dates you're gonna be in 22 North? I'll be there for Thanksgiving

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back