My 2010 Archery Elk

Here's some pics of my bull from just a few days ago. He's by no means a monster and I'm certain many will post much bigger ones, but I am very happy with him. We were up on a bluff overlooking the bottoms scouting when I heard a bugle from behind us. I found a large group of cows heading into the bottom and we made a plan to cut them off. My friend Chris went all the way to the bottom and braved the mosquitoes and ended up getting a shot at a 4x5 but missed. I circled the ridge above and was going to head down when I spot him feeding on the side of a hill about 400 yards away. I planned out my path dropped off the ridge and eventually got a 38 yard shot. Curiously, while tracking him slowly with my head down I was up on a ridge and heard some brush snapping. I figured it was Chris looking for me and when I looked over there was a big 6x6 tearing the snot out of a small pine tree 80 yards away directly across from me. I posted a flip video on Facebook of him. Needless to say I eventually found him. We had him boned out in 2 hours and in the cooler in another 2 hours (or at least 3/5 of him).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

congrats to you! nice bull and fun with friends. were you hunting outta a cessna(sky blue camo)?:D

Congrats, looks like he'll eat good. Love the Bucking horse sale sweatshirt as well!

Very nice EastMTHtr!
Good write up to boot! Good stalk up on him. Did you try and make a move on the 6x or wrong wind / other?

Congrats!

Sytes, The 6x6 was after I had all ready shot the 3x3, unfortunately. There were enough pines and junipers between him and I, I should have been able to close the distance to 30-40 yards, but I had all ready poked one.

Regarding my clothes, I had made a shot I'm not exactly proud of since He turned just as I released. I tracked him aboout 1/2 mile (per the GPS). I tracked the day I shot him until it was to late to see well and then returned the next morning at first light and resumed the track. Fortunately the shot had left a good blood trail and all the rain we had the previous day left good tracks as well. It was a little nerve racking when he entered tracks from other elk but the blood and following several of the trails helped. He was still alive when I found him and placed the next and last arrow into his chest. I knew we would be packing him out and wore comfortable clothes for the work involved.

That's some sweet camo. Wear can I get some of that?? Congrats on the elk. Any archery elk is awesome in my opinion.

Great elk. Did you run into the fire area? I have heard is was a big fire.

Cograts any archery kill is a good one. I would put some pics of mine and my budies but it will not let me. Get some submission failed because of a security token message when trying to upload.

Good job on the stay with it tracking, and congrats on the bow kill. Any elk with a bow is an excellent elk. Great job!

Congrats on the bull. I'd be more than satisfied to put my tag on one like him.

Thanks for posting your hunt. We all love to look and read about the experience.
Also, is your bow site a Montana Black Gold...kind of looks like one but I can't tell for sure?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back