Muzzleloader Mania - Part 2 - Timber to Alpine

These both were great write-ups! Good on you for all your hard work before the season and after. Also commend you for your motivation to drive out on those scouting missions.

Reactions: trb
Thank you for the story. Sounds like a great hunt even though it didn’t end with meat

Your threads have me considering getting more serious about ML hunting.
2548442d43406b784feaee925ba97bf3.gif
Do it. It is the best. 90% of why I love it is the alpine glassing potential, which seems right up your alley given your work with RMBS and your stellar photography on the moose thread.

Great story and pics, TRB. These are the type of hunts that stoke the internal fire.

Helluva story, good work @trb those pics are simply Beautiful. And backpacking wet is a fine and pleasant misery... that I try to avoid at all costs anymore

View attachment 242878
Do it. It is the best. 90% of why I love it is the alpine glassing potential, which seems right up your alley given your work with RMBS and your stellar photography on the moose thread.
I borrowed a ML for my moose hunt. I got a Thor sizing pack in the mail the other day for the unfired ML in my safe. (y)

yeah same as oak, i finally bought a bow this year, realized i wasn't gonna be able to archery hunt so never even tuned it or practiced with it. now i'm like, eh, let it gather dust, time to buy a muzzleloader.

yeah same as oak, i finally bought a bow this year, realized i wasn't gonna be able to archery hunt so never even tuned it or practiced with it. now i'm like, eh, let it gather dust, time to buy a muzzleloader.
My greatest challenge to taking up archery hunting is that I can't shoot at my house. I know I wouldn't find the time to load up and go shoot regularly.

My greatest challenge to taking up archery hunting is that I can't shoot at my house. I know I wouldn't find the time to load up and go shoot regularly.

same position. i was greatly stressed this summer about trying my hand for the first time at archery with having no way to really practice without taking pto or killing an entire saturday.

wife's pregnancy precluded any of that and ultimately precluded the archery hunt in its entirety. my disdain for bowhunting continues :cautious:

With everything going on with my health right now I really appreciate you writing this up. Sounds like you are a determined man who goes after what he wants….seemed like such a fun experience! Thanks

Really though, you just need to spend a couple longer sessions at the range working up a load (you're doing the right thing with the Thor sizing kit by the way), and after that it's just shooting with open sights. Not rocket science. Unless you have a Hawken or something, which I'd love to get one day, it doesn't take much to become confident with an open sights inline muzzleloader.

Not sure where in CO you live, and caveat that Im no expert, but I'd happily go to the range with you sometime this winter. Baker Draw up at Pawnee has 100 yd lanes, which is plenty for a muzzleloader, and the amount of people there substantially decreases when it gets cold. Same for you @TOGIE.

Really though, you just need to spend a couple longer sessions at the range working up a load (you're doing the right thing with the Thor sizing kit by the way), and after that it's just shooting with open sights. Not rocket science. Unless you have a Hawken or something, which I'd love to get one day, it doesn't take much to become confident with an open sights inline muzzleloader.

Not sure where in CO you live, and caveat that Im no expert, but I'd happily go to the range with you sometime this winter. Baker Draw up at Pawnee has 100 yd lanes, which is plenty for a muzzleloader, and the amount of people there substantially decreases when it gets cold. Same for you @TOGIE.
Right. ML is not a problem. Archery is.

i have feeling we're not all that terribly far apart trb, especially if baker draw is one of your go to spots. i'd absolutely take you up on some muzzleloader shooting collaboration/teaching.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back