Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Muzzleloader Deer

Kharper

I drew a muzzleloader deer license in Colorado this year. After picking the area of the unit my partner and I wanted to hunt, we arrived a few days early to acclimate to the altitude, get a good camp set up, and to have a few days to scout for deer. The actual deer hunt was over pretty quickly for me. I was able to locate a bachelor group of bucks before the season opened so I got up early on opening day, found a good vantage point and began glassing at daybreak. Unfortunately I was unable to locate the group of bucks I had seen previously but I did see 2 bucks behind me around 500 yards away. I was able to use the terrain to get within 150 yards pretty easily for a closer look at them. Since I don't feel confident beyond 100 yards, I had to crawl and sneak to close the distance. While I was stalking them, the bucks had quit feeding and bedded in some snow brush. I was able to get within 100 yards of the smaller buck, a 2x3 that was bedded in place that I had a good view of him. The larger buck, a 4x4, was bedded facing away from me around 80 yards away but all I could see of him were his antlers due to the brush he was bedded in, so it then became a waiting game. Fortunately for me the wind stayed in my favor and after a couple of hours the buck stood up offering me a clean shot.resized deer.png

Looks like you had a great time. Great buck and beautiful photos. The fiery sunset is incredible.

Congratulations! It sure seems like you had a full adventure in high country Colorado.

I was a member here for 7 years before I had a photo with my face on it. (Statute of limitations had finally expired!!)

First of all, congrats on a great buck! That is some gorgeous country and I'm glad you had time to do some exploring after your tag was filled.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back