Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Muzzleloader Deer

Kharper

I drew a muzzleloader deer license in Colorado this year. After picking the area of the unit my partner and I wanted to hunt, we arrived a few days early to acclimate to the altitude, get a good camp set up, and to have a few days to scout for deer. The actual deer hunt was over pretty quickly for me. I was able to locate a bachelor group of bucks before the season opened so I got up early on opening day, found a good vantage point and began glassing at daybreak. Unfortunately I was unable to locate the group of bucks I had seen previously but I did see 2 bucks behind me around 500 yards away. I was able to use the terrain to get within 150 yards pretty easily for a closer look at them. Since I don't feel confident beyond 100 yards, I had to crawl and sneak to close the distance. While I was stalking them, the bucks had quit feeding and bedded in some snow brush. I was able to get within 100 yards of the smaller buck, a 2x3 that was bedded in place that I had a good view of him. The larger buck, a 4x4, was bedded facing away from me around 80 yards away but all I could see of him were his antlers due to the brush he was bedded in, so it then became a waiting game. Fortunately for me the wind stayed in my favor and after a couple of hours the buck stood up offering me a clean shot.resized deer.png

Looks like you had a great time. Great buck and beautiful photos. The fiery sunset is incredible.

Congratulations! It sure seems like you had a full adventure in high country Colorado.

I was a member here for 7 years before I had a photo with my face on it. (Statute of limitations had finally expired!!)

First of all, congrats on a great buck! That is some gorgeous country and I'm glad you had time to do some exploring after your tag was filled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back