Muzzle loader ?

sdstalker

I have a Remington genisis .50 cal. I put a vortex crossfire scope on it. I am shooting lead round balls with 100 grains of pyrodex RS. I can not get it to group. I am spraying shots all over I am at 25 yards with a bench rest. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Shoot a conical of some sort or a sabot. The twist in your barrel is way to fast for a round ball.

I'm partial to No Excuses bullets.

Shoot a conical of some sort or a sabot. The twist in your barrel is way to fast for a round ball.

I'm partial to No Excuses bullets.
I'd be very surprised if this doesn't fix your problem. Besides, I think conicals/sabots are much better both ballistically and terminally.

Those rifles have a fast twist and will not shoot round balls unless you shoot them at a very slow speed. The rifle is made to shoot conical bullets and sabot bullets.

Round balls shot at decent velocity through a fast-twist barrel strip across the rifling instead of spinning. It takes a twist of at least 1 in 48 (preferably slower) to shoot round balls well.

You have a good rifle, but you need to change your projectiles.

Got it all straightened out. Using the right bullet sure makes a difference
Thanks far all the help

For hunting I would get away from Pyrodex as fast I can. I have tried many granular s and have been pleased with 777 so far. Pyrodex is really tough to ignite in damp or frigid hunting conditions. I also am switching from Powerbelts to Barnes. Powerbelts load great, shoot very well but the performance of the bullet on game is lacking. I have shot a lot of deer with round balls too with gold old fashioned black powder being the preferred charge of 80 gr by volume. Fun to shoot but quite dirty and can be difficult to reload int he field after shooting. I love shooting Muzzle Loaders though. Nothing like sending one down range and needing to run through the smoke to see if you hit or not!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back