Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What bullet would you suggest for my muzzleloader?

Mustangs Rule

What Bullets Would You Suggest For my Muzzle loader, based on your own real personal experience.

I have a vintage Thompson New Englander in 50 caliber with a 1 in 48 twist.

I have three choices, .490 round balls, ( What patch thickness is best ? )

370 grain Maxi Ball and 350 Maxi Hunter. Both have all the factory lubricant dried up.

I still have a tube of Bore-Butter to re-lube them with.

I have not fired it in over 25. I put it away totally cleaned with the bore lightly lubed.

For a propellant I have Pyrodex powder. All has been stored cool and dry.

I sent it back to Thompson when I first got it to have them do a trigger job and I bought and installed their peep sights.

I would intend to hunt deer with it. Elk is possible but unlikely. I live in pretty open country so accuracy is most important.

Thank you

I have a early T/C Hawken 50. I've shot .490 rb with a .15 patch with ok results. I mainly shoot the maxi ball 370 grains. I use Goex 2f usually 80 up to 100 grains. I've shot several whitetail 5x5 bucks one at 80 yards the other 130 yards. One was drt and the other ran about 20 yards. Both complete pass throughs. I never shot the Maxi Hunter but have read reports of accuracy issues.

I have a Traditions .50 Hawkins with 1-48 twist. I use Hornaday Great Plains bullets with 90 - 100 gr of ff black powder. The Maxi bullets shot the same and found patch and ball to be less accurate. I have used Pyrodex but had some misfires where I had to pull the bullet. Never had an issue with Black powder. The gun is 30+ years old and is a tack driver.

I have a early T/C Hawken 50. I've shot .490 rb with a .15 patch with ok results. I mainly shoot the maxi ball 370 grains. I use Goex 2f usually 80 up to 100 grains. I've shot several whitetail 5x5 bucks one at 80 yards the other 130 yards. One was drt and the other ran about 20 yards. Both complete pass throughs. I never shot the Maxi Hunter but have read reports of accuracy issues.
Thank you very much

I have a Traditions .50 Hawkins with 1-48 twist. I use Hornaday Great Plains bullets with 90 - 100 gr of ff black powder. The Maxi bullets shot the same and found patch and ball to be less accurate. I have used Pyrodex but had some misfires where I had to pull the bullet. Never had an issue with Black powder. The gun is 30+ years old and is a tack driver.
Thank you very much

What Bullets Would You Suggest For my Muzzle loader, based on your own real personal experience.

I have a vintage Thompson New Englander in 50 caliber with a 1 in 48 twist.

I have three choices, .490 round balls, ( What patch thickness is best ? )

370 grain Maxi Ball and 350 Maxi Hunter. Both have all the factory lubricant dried up.

I still have a tube of Bore-Butter to re-lube them with.

I have not fired it in over 25. I put it away totally cleaned with the bore lightly lubed.

For a propellant I have Pyrodex powder. All has been stored cool and dry.

I sent it back to Thompson when I first got it to have them do a trigger job and I bought and installed their peep sights.

I would intend to hunt deer with it. Elk is possible but unlikely. I live in pretty open country so accuracy is most important.

Thank you
I have the same gun, 80gn FF Triple Seven, 490 roundball and .015 lubed patch. Between me and my kids and other family about 50 deer taken with it. Have a low power scope on it but don't shoot past 75 yds on live game and mostly under 50 yds. Have a 12 gauge shotgun barrel for it too, great on rabbits and partridge.

Reactions: Hem
Can’t go wrong with the maxi-ball. Probably 80-85 grains Pyrodex will be a very accurate load, although I’d shift to 777 personally. I killed a raghorn in CO with that setup from a T/C Renegade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back