Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Muzzle loader barrel blowout

duckhunt

My son had a barrel blow out. He is ok so all is good there. I'm curious what could have caused this. It was his 3rd shot so no barrel obstruction. We mark the ramrod so I know it wasn't double loaded and also bullet was seated down on powder tight.

Using 2 pyrodex pellets

20201018_140144.jpg

Power belt bullet
20201018_140155.jpg

The gun is a cva wolf.20201011_161809.jpg

I'm going to take it to a gunsmith to look at but thought I would reach out on hunt talk for thoughts. Very scary considering my dad ,2 boys and I all shoot muzzle loaders.
20201011_161738.jpg20201011_161800.jpg

Wow! Scary stuff, glad he's OK! No expert but it sure looks TO ME that something restricted the barrel out near the end. Bench shooting? That would rule out anything in the barrel. I'd be sending pics and a bitch to CVA. Something wasn't right from the start if that was only the 3rd shot on a new gun.

Wow! Scary stuff, glad he's OK! No expert but it sure looks TO ME that something restricted the barrel out near the end. Bench shooting? That would rule out anything in the barrel. I'd be sending pics and a bitch to CVA. Something wasn't right from the start if that was only the 3rd shot on a new gun.
Not a new gun. That was his 3rd shot at the range sighting in for hunting season. The gun is about 10 years old and only shot to sight in and hunt. Rough guess maybe has 150 rounds through it total.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but man that looks like operator error. Scary as hell for sure. Im glad your son is okay

Amazing that nobody was physically injured!

Any chance the muzzle end was grounded (dropped/rested) into the dirt resulting in a partial/complete blockage? Sometimes kids aren't 100% aware of where the muzzle is, or the significance of debris in the barrel.

Jeez...scary stuff, especially with your kids involved.
No speculation other than the obvious knee jerk theory.
Watching your thread for any other plausible explanations.
Certainly let us know what you find out.

Amazing that nobody was physically injured!

Any chance the muzzle end was grounded (dropped/rested) into the dirt resulting in a partial/complete blockage? Sometimes kids aren't 100% aware of where the muzzle is, or the significance of debris in the barrel.
That's possible.

Glad everyone is ok minus the soiled underwear!

You should look up a hunters Ed instructor in your area and see if they would be interested in using the firearm during their classes. We have a shotgun that is blown out and the kids are always amazed by it and I think it hammers home many points.

Wow! So glad your son is ok. I shoot the same power belts and powder and this literally scares the hell out of me. That could easily have been a very serious injury. Once again, so glad your son is ok. Let us know if you find out anything from the gunsmith.

That’s crazy lucky no one was hurt It looks like a barrel obstruction To me as well

With the aerolite, if you are not using the proper bullet seating jag, you'll easily plug the end of the ramrod with the bullet tip and can pull the bullet back up with the ramrod and have it fall off, way up off the charge. I don't know if the shooter uses a short starter or not, but if he does not, I'd have to say it was either just thumbed into the muzzle, or what i explained earlier. This certainly is not a barrel failure, but an obstruction.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back