Caribou Gear Tarp

Must sees in Redlodge?

NDcoyote

The girlfriend and I will be taking a long weekend getaway in mid October and are heading to Redlodge..I've yet to make it down into that part of the state so figured nows the time. If I had it my way we'd be putting miles on the boots "hiking" aka scouting every day but I know the lady will only be able to handle one day of hard hiking. Looking for some suggestions of other fun outdoor activities in the area.

Red Lodge is great. We go there often for motorcycle trips. In addition to what has already been mentioned, I like snow creek saloon and carbon county steakhouse (kind of expensive though). Maybe lake fork trail? Even though the pass will be cold, if it is open, it is worth it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I will tuck my fishing gear behind the seat-
"Surprise babe! Not only is this a scouting trip but we're gonna get some fishing in too!!!"
I definitely want to check out the pass as well. Any recommendations on good trails to hike? Would like to find one that takes us up to a peak since she's never actually stood on a mountain before. I told her we're doing at least one full day of hiking, leaving the truck at sunrise and coming back at dusk..Need to stay in shape for Nov elk!

Grizzly bar in Roscoe is currently closed for the pandemic.

If you want to drive the entire Beartooth pass, it's going to be hit and miss in October- They might close it after Vista point for snow. Still a really cool spot with a great view of the Rock Creek drainage. Later in the winter, they close it after the lakefork road.

Foster and Logans has great burgers, and I haven't had much reason to try much else. Snowy Creek saloon has good atmosphere. Red Lodge Ales has a good beer garden. All sorts of little places here and there with decent food, just depends on what you want and what day of the week you're there.

There's an antique store with a gun room that can be pretty cool.

West Fork Rock has small brookies and rainbows in it that are generally pretty stupid. Main Fork is more rainbows above town, with some brookies, and you start getting more browns the lower down you go towards Joliet.

There aren't really any peaks to hit at Red Lodge, as it's a valley in a plateau. There are some pretty good views to be had from the Line Creek plateau, though. Probably want to check snow conditions on the trails before heading out.

As far as trail to get some elevation, you might poke around alltrails.com and just see what's on the map. Highly suggest gaiters, as, you guessed it, there might be snow on the ground up high.

Last edited:
Back