Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Must Haves for the Smith River Float

Coop

I'm a little bit late in posting this, but the wife and I are meeting up with my cousin and a few others for 5 days on the Smith beginning on Saturday. Are there any items that you guys have brought on this float that you would consider must haves? We have all of the obvious essentials, but I'm looking more for things that will make the trip more fun/ memorable for all of us. Weight is not an issue for us, so 'luxury' items are possible. Thanks!

If you are bringing a spinner set up about 5x as many lures as you think you'll need. The river bottom eats them like crazy.

More adult beverages than you think you'll need.

Pard did that a few years ago. Sounded like a fantastic time. Good luck and be sure to post pics/stories when you get back.

I did the Smith about a decade ago, can't think of much specific to it that I'd recommend. It's cool, I did really enjoy the relative lack of other river traffic.

It's cool, I did really enjoy it

YES, it is VERY cool. This time of year the water runs like 32.1* still all snowmelt.
Take stuff to stay warm and to get warm. The sun can get very hot also, sunscreen is a must.
AND Bug spray, not the fancy designer stuff I mean REAL BUG SPRAY !!!!!!

I work with a bunch of hard core river guys. They take six to eight trips in Montana/Idaho every summer. They did one Smith trip already, and have another on July 13th. Listening to them, clothing as mentioned, and more than you think you will need of the beverage of choice. Also, they use battery powered leaf blowers to inflate the rafts. They say it works great. mtmuley

The only time I've floated it, it rained 3.5" on us during the 4 day trip. Most nights it was raining so hard we didn't cook dinner. Beer, rain coat and a left over pizza that we had put in ziplocks were the clutch items.

As mentioned already, rain gear and layers.

San juan worms and double-bead prince nymphs. If the fish aren't hitting on top, these will get you back in the game.

Thanks guys! I will be sure to post a few pictures after the trip. Should be a good time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back