Must choose one

Must choose only one for 2022

• Wyoming General Elk (new ground)

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Colorado OTC Archery Elk (proven ground)

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Colorado TOP TIER LE antelope (new ground)

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Black Hills Deer (new ground)

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Thanks for all the feedback and taking the poll.

I think I am going to put in for CO antelope after more than 2 decades of waiting.

But also swinging for the fences on several VERY limited entry tags for elk, moose. In the crazy situation I draw a different tag, I’ll send the antelope tag back in for points.

I may be completely abandoning WY general in favor of a limited tag in the future. I am a natural skeptic and just can’t get myself to truly believe a general tag is better than holding out for another year or two or three. Especially since I have not scouted any general areas. But I know popular opinion says Gen is often better than some LE. Seriously, HOW can that be? I honestly can’t get over that hurdle, since it’s unlikely in any case I’ll get to hunt WY elk more than a small handful
of times.

Finally, if everything goes belly up, I’ll be hunting CO OTC elk. I feel like there are worse backup plans when I’m fairly confidently into elk 30 hours from my door.

….. Subject to change. LOL.

Good luck with your own planning everyone!

I'd burn the antelope points if you aren't looking for an absolute trophy you should be able to get it done in a decent amount of time. Then shoot to Colorado and chase elk?

CO “top tier” (LOL 🤣) antelope is out for 2022. Keeping this and my 24 PP in reserve for a future year, after I get my next bull elk, or two.

CO OTC archery/rifle is probably out unless I use as a final backup and search out a new unit I want to try.

Wyoming general is out. I put in for a unit that I’d have to draw in the random. 2% odds or so. If I draw somewhere else I may withdraw the app, or if I draw it, hunt it if there’s no conflict and I can pull off vacation.

SD deer is new backup plan.

The remainder of my strategy is a multi-state attempt at drawing a very good to great tag, mostly for elk but with some moose and sheep thrown in for laughs and donation to the cause. I have about a 50% chance of drawing one elk tag in particular that is likely to be a complete circus but one I’ve wanted to try. Other apps are all 3% or less odds. I am pretty happy with my plan. My brain can power down for a bit from all the excel spreadsheets, statistical analysis, and hunt-date conflict avoidance. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Back