MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Musician Hunt Talkers

FairWeather

Every Friday there’s a thread to share songs, and there are a few threads for other hobbies such as wood and metal working. Figured I’d make a thread for this of us who make a little music in our free time.

Myself, I’m a bassist (play a little guitar, too), been playing for the last 20 years. Play in a couple bands in town here, gig a few times a year. Nothing fancy, music’s not too hard, and I’m sure not able to quit my day job hahaha.

Who else is out there, on here?!

Not sure if sharing of links to your music goes against the forum self promotion rules, but I’d like to hear what you’re all making, and share what I’ve been up to if anyone’s interested.

I can’t sing and i am certainly not a good dancer. That said, cant wait to see all those way more talented than me chime in! Bring it y’all…

I play the guitar and play a bit just about every day. But, I don't play in a band. A friend and I just split up the two parts to "Little Martha" by the Alman Brothers, maybe we'll give that a whirl at an open mic, or something similar. It sure is a nice way to decompress!

Played acoustic guitar 20 years. Electric for about 17 and dabbled in banjo and mandolin as well. Want to learn pedal steel at some point. Currently I play in the worship band at church as needed.
I'm thinking about starting one locally.

My primary musical influence was growing up in a church that sang all a capella music. There's no worship band to listen to, so everyone learns to join in and sing. There is far less focus on who is a "good singer," and the stronger voices generally carry the weaker voices along. The main thing is that I'm so grateful I learned music as a participation sport rather than a spectator sport. I'm still not particularly good, but I enjoy it a ton.

I do play some guitar. I would love to sound like Chet, and I even bought an orange Gretsch, but somehow it takes more than that. One of these days when my stress is less and I can enjoy it more, I'll spend more time and learn it better.

I may have told this story here already, but as a kid I learned to play on a beat up electric in my dad's closet. He had paid $150 for it in the 70's, and he always said it was worth something. After I was out of the house, he had it checked out and appraised. A Fender Stratocaster serial number 299. Probably was worth more than my first house at one point.

QQ

Drummer and bassist here. Play in a local 'weekend warrior' band. We only gig a few times a year, but we practice one night every week. I call it my 'poker night'. I play bass in this band.

I checked with BigFin, and we’re in the clear to post links to music. If you have any, and are willing to share, let’s hear it!

Here’s some of my most recent recordings

I was the singer, songwriter, & rhythm guitar in this one: https://pennyroyalwe.bandcamp.com/music

Bassist in this one:

These were just for fun during the COVID lockdown days. Had some friends help out with drums and others, otherwise kinda of solo projects:

Funny enough, I have no recordings of the band I’ve been in the longest lol. We mostly just get together for rehearsals and gigs.

Drummer and bassist here. Play in a local 'weekend warrior' band. We only gig a few times a year, but we practice one night every week. I call it my 'poker night'. I play bass in this band.
Those times can be really fun. Last band I was in became a "I pretend I'm still in high school, so I will try to outdrink you" nights. Hated it.

My parents tried to get me to take music lessons as a kid. But I was too busy causing chaos and getting in trouble. Wish now that I’d have complied with their wishes. I envy people with musical talent that they’ve invested the time in to develop.

My parents tried to get me to take music lessons as a kid. But I was too busy causing chaos and getting in trouble. Wish now that I’d have complied with their wishes. I envy people with musical talent that they’ve invested the time in to develop.
I feel your pain. When I was in 4th grade I wanted to take up the saxophone. My dad said the only lessons he’d pay for were piano lessons (we had a piano in the house). I thought piano was lame, so didn’t go for it. I deeply regret that now.

My stepmother played piano beautifully and offered to teach me or pay for lessons. Picked up a little but kick myself often for not following thru. I've played guitar since Jr High but will never be as good as I want to be. Garage band days are some of my fondest adolescent memories.

Acoustic guitar here. Back in the day the family used to play a lot of '40s big band/swing music. Now I have a couple of friends who are pretty amazing bluegrass musicians so whenever we are all in the same town we get together for a jam session. One of them has all our recordings, so I don't have any to post here.
My kids will be starting piano lessons this fall but I have a son who will regularly pick up a harmony when we're singing and he doesn't even realize it. Looking forward to seeing how he does with some formal instruction.

Acoustic guitar here. Back in the day the family used to play a lot of '40s big band/swing music. Now I have a couple of friends who are pretty amazing bluegrass musicians so whenever we are all in the same town we get together for a jam session. One of them has all our recordings, so I don't have any to post here.
My kids will be starting piano lessons this fall but I have a son who will regularly pick up a harmony when we're singing and he doesn't even realize it. Looking forward to seeing how he does with some formal instruction.
That’s awesome. When I first started playing bass I was real into the jazz big band swing stuff. Tons of fun playing in the HS jazz band. Haven’t really dabbled in it much since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back