Mulie or Whitetail?

belshawelk

I am split on my opinion on this. Is this a whitetail or Mulie judging by the horns?I have more info later I will share but just want opinions firstIMG_5006.jpg

First impression is muley.
Antlers aren’t the best character, especially on a three point but no brows is suspicious.
Ears and face/eye area coloration look more muley in this photo.

Last edited:
I’d say mule deer. This is the mule deer my father shot last year. It had some very whitetail-ish antler traits.

Attachments

• DA497B7A-6D06-475A-B84E-980AFF1D69EC.jpg
    DA497B7A-6D06-475A-B84E-980AFF1D69EC.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 740
  • 89F5307A-829F-4925-B5BA-88B7955DA3ED.jpg
    89F5307A-829F-4925-B5BA-88B7955DA3ED.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 740
You can't just look at horns every time to distinguish the species. If I posted the rack of a nontypical south Texas whitetail I shot everyone would say it's a mule deer and if I posted a straight 8 pointer everyone would say it's a whitetail when it was just a mule deer that hadn't forked.

Lack of browtines would indicate mule deer to me. Not sure I've seen many whitetails with a complete lack of browtines other than spikes or forkhorns.

Lack of browtines would indicate mule deer to me. Not sure I've seen many whitetails with a complete lack of browtines other than spikes or forkhorns.

I've shot a lot more mulies with pronounced browtines than without, so it means nothing for species identification when it comes to them.

Well its about a split. Here's the rest of story. First off I am almost inclined to say a mix as the horns are not split and follow a single main beam, but the face is a Muley. This is from Eastern Oregon. They introduced a few whitetails many years back. I have hundreds and hundreds of pics on my cameras, all Mulie's, never a whitetail. I have seen whitetails once and i was 4 whitetail does running together 4 miles from here, down in the valley. Its a young deer so well see as it grows. Here is the whole pic.
IMG_4993.jpg

If you check the tail I think you would know for sure whether it's mixed or not.

I have a picture somewhere of a herd of whitetail does with 1 of them having a whitetail coat and black tail like a mule deer. I should dig that up and post.

Last edited:
Mule deer.

When looking at the antlers look at beading between the burr and brow tine. The beading on whitetail antlers will run up the antler in lines. The beading on a mule deer will be much more haphazard and if there are lines of beading the lines will run crosswise.

It's very possible it's a mix, part mule deer and part whitetail. I once shot one years ago in ND. Called the DNR and of course they said, it's not possible, but that is what it was, looked like a whitetail doe, but was giant and had huge ears.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back