Muleys or Whitetails

JB, "doe will typically are wider in the hind leaving the hind tracks slightly wider then the front big deal ass wipe."

That would be pretty tough to tell, since they place their hind feet in the same track made by their front feet. You mean you can tell the difference between a 140 lb. buck and a 140 lb. doe that way? That's pretty amazing!

Aren't there any other easier ways? Please help me.

Once again Ithaca, reread my posts. I never said a word about your tracking skills until you wondered about mine. Now, I'm done with this, but if you must have the last word, please continue. And by the way, the quote of mine used, I'm not sure you chewed on that quite long enough.

carbon, Sorry to see you're leaving. I was hoping you'd help us learn a little about tracking. Just one little helpful hint, please, about telling buck and doe tracks apart?

JB was good enough to point out they don't have feet. That's a big help.:D Maybe he should inform the Wisconsin DNR about that! Here's what they say:

"Deer have hooved feet, slender bodies, and long, thin legs."

Here's a few more helpful tips for JB from the website I posted below:

"The male deer is called a buck. Bucks are easy to identify in the summer and fall because they grow a set of antlers (also called a rack) each year. The rack is made of bone and has points, called tines. Many tines on a buck's rack tell us that the deer is healthy and lives in a good habitat. A buck's antlers reach full growth in the fall......

The female deer is called a doe. She gives birth to young, called fawns, in May or June. A doe may give birth to one, two, or three fawns at a time. A fawn's coat is reddish brown with small white spots. This coloring helps the young fawn blend in with the forest. Blending in with the habitat is called camouflage, and it is one way an animal adapts to its environment. The spots on a fawn disappear when the fawn completes its first molt (gets a winter coat), at about five months old.

Fun Deer Facts
Use your mouse to explore the deer below. Click over the different parts of the deer. You will learn some very interesting facts about deer."

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/mammal/fawn.htm#two

JB, Study that deer carefully and see if you can tell his ass from his elbow.:D

A-con, I can't see your posts but I'm sure it's the usual crap. You can probably learn some stuff from using the deer picture, too. Notice how they explain which is his nose and which is his tail? That's important for you to know.hump

Don't miss this part: "Tracks - Deer tracks are heart-shaped. The track is made by a deer's hooves, also called toenails. The pointed end of the track points to where the deer was going.
Trails - Deer travel in narrow paths called trails. Trails usually connect where the deer eats and where it rests. Can you find a deer trail? Where do you think the deer was heading?"

:D :D

For someone who can't see my posts, your sure do seem to respond to a lot of them.
Here is a hint;

Does pee between their rear hove prints
Bucks pee in front of their rear hove prints
'Ithaca 37 pees his pants whenever I post

Of course you can tell a buck from a doe by how they walk (where they walk) how they fit in with (or avoid) a group of other deer, and how they avoid obstacles that would interfere with their antlers.
It is very difficult to tell Ithacas tracks from a buck or a doe, because it mimics both sexes from time to time. Much like a buck with no testis, or a doe that has grown antlers, the Ithaca sometimes looks like the real thing but it is just mimicry. The only reason the waste you tag on this one boys is to thin out the undesirable gene pool!

A-con said:
For someone who can't see my posts, your sure do seem to respond to a lot of them.
Here is a hint;

Does pee between their rear hove prints
Bucks pee in front of their rear hove prints
'Ithaca 37 pees his pants whenever I post

Of course you can tell a buck from a doe by how they walk (where they walk) how they fit in with (or avoid) a group of other deer, and how they avoid obstacles that would interfere with their antlers.
It is very difficult to tell Ithacas tracks from a buck or a doe, because it mimics both sexes from time to time. Much like a buck with no testis, or a doe that has grown antlers, the Ithaca sometimes looks like the real thing but it is just mimicry. The only reason the waste you tag on this one boys is to thin out the undesirable gene pool!

....hour & a half til happy hour.:cool:

NHY, Thanks for posting what A-con said. Maybe I'll take him off my ignore list sometime. He's right about watching where the deer walks. I like that method a lot when trying to confirm whether it's a buck or doe. The piss clues are good, too, but it's easier to look at their piss pattern (which is different). That's one clue that is 100% sure, especially when the buck dribbles as he walks away.

I don't have to see A-con's posts to respond to them, usually they're just a bunch of nitwit BS. Real predictable.:D

Here's some good tracking tips:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/article/0,13199,556116,00.html

Why was I sure you'd make sure you had the last word Ithaca. Your fairly predictable, maybe thats why that whitetail gave you the slip for three days a few years ago.

You wanted a tip OK, there probably aint two does on this earth that are gonna leave a track 3 1/2" wide. Find one of those and you are most assuredly on a bucks trail. That in combination with how it walk in brush and between trees will confirm your choice of tracks for the day, but you want to make sure and age that track, and make sure it aint melted out to be that size.

You fags and your arguing.

Which are harder to hunt? What's "harder" mean? Not enough details..

Huge mule deer can be easy as pie or tough as hell, same for whitetails. Depends on a lot of other things. I think for the most part, whitetails are a much smarter animal than a mule deer though.

carbon, I said I could track them. I never said I could always catch up to them before my hunt was over. I did track one once in PA for six days before I got him. Yup, a 3 1/2" wide track is a pretty sure thing unless it's a small elk. Here's a good track size comparison web page:

http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/staticpage_detail.aspx?id=149

There's a couple other good tips, too.

:)

I know much more about and have more experience with WT than I do MD. My limited experience with MD has led me to feel that WT are smarter (or at least warier), but I feel that terrain, pressure, population, time of year hunted, etc. all play huge roles that can't be measured.

In the parts of Texas that have both MD and WT it is my understanding (& experience) that mature MD are easier to find and especially easier to kill (i.e. get a good shot at).

Back