Caribou Gear

Muley or coues?

Outofstate-r

A friend and I are looking at doing one of the two. We really don't have a state pinned down and if it would be archery or rifle. My question is what would be the most doable diy and in what state? Or what you would recommend? We are both in are mid 30's and we would go next yr. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Have you done either?

I've never hunted coues, but from what I read on here from guys that do, you don't necessarily see a lot of deer. That being said both are doable for the DIY. But if this is your first western deer hunt, I think doing a muley hunt would be your best first experience. Look into ID and MT. Both have generous seasons and both are easy to get tags in.

Lots of options for muleys. Mountains or plains, snow or hot? Scenery a factor? Size of deer a factor? I think a Muley trip would be easier logistically and probably cheaper.

I have done a backcountry archery elk @ 9-12k ft. Seasons, terrain, heard size really doesn't matter to us. As long as it is a decent chance to get into some animals.

I'm an arizona native and coues hunter fanatic. the rifle october-november coues tags are extremely easy to draw. most of them are 100% draw.they are not like hunting mule deer, but are a blast once you figure them out. numbers are also pretty high, but they are very hard to spot which is why a lot of inexperienced coues hunters struggle with them, or think there are low numbers. i generally see 20-50 deer a day when coues hunting. you can buy an OTC archery deer tag in AZ and hunt almost every unit in August, December and January. Coues are extremely hard to hunt spot and stalk with a bow. most people that have great success archery hunting them are doing it by sitting blinds and treestands. feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to help you out.

Do the seasons overlap enough to do both? Do you have the bank roll to do both in the same year at different times?

Mule deer certainly give you a LOT more options as to when and what kind of habitat. That said, I think a Coues hunt would be a lot of fun.

Man, talk about leaving options open. You are trying to decide between 2 different species, 2 different weapons and at least half a dozen states. I'd say you have about 25 options you could do.

I'd say your most doable trip would be a rifle, mule deer trip to a state like Montana. You could also do the northwest corner of Nebraska which would be closer for you, or maybe a Region tag in Wyoming. Or a 0 point unit in CO.

For coues, getting a tag might be a little tougher unless you go for a mediocre unit or a tag that is early in the fall. NM and AZ are your main options there. I'd have to look at draw odds for AZ to pull a tag.

Narrowing it down to either mule deer or coues and also rifle or bow would help tremendously. Definitely more options with mule deer.

AZ Bridger was typing faster than me...haha. What he said about AZ.

archery and rifle seasons do not really overlap, unless you were to draw a december coues tag, which is very difficult to draw. around 5% draw odds. they are a blast to hunt, probably unlike anything you have or will ever hunt. if you are looking for a new experience, do not overlook them. they get addicting. be aware though, you are hunting an animal that weighs about 80-110lbs for a buck on average, live weight and a really exceptional deer will score 100".

Man, talk about leaving options open. You are trying to decide between 2 different species, 2 different weapons and at least half a dozen states. I'd say you have about 25 options you could do.

Narrowing it down to either mule deer or coues and also rifle or bow would help tremendously. Definitely more options with mule deer.

I know.:D We are really open to anything. When we start leaning one way, we start going the other. We will probably decide on rifle, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we went with a bow. I assume there would be less competition with a bow for each option...

Once again guys, thanks.

I did muley hunts before coues.I've yet to try coues but will in the near future.I need one to finish my deer slam.Figuring out a place to get a muley was easier for me.I'm still figuring out what I want to do for coues in Az.From allI hear, they are fun to hunt though and know a few guys that do well in the winter archery season for them.So I keep going back and forth with either archery or rifle for coues.BTW, you can take either or in Az. in the late archery season so that may be the hunt you want.If you see muleys you can take it or vice versa,in certain units

That is interesting. I didn't know that.

And did you know that both species are rutting in January during that AZ otc archery tag ?
I haven't done this hunt in 17 years because I've been applying for the strip and didn't want to kill a deer and not be able to play the draw. But now that I just drew the strip I can't wait to get back to chasing Coues and Mulies in AZ in January.
Oh, and did you know Javelina archery is also in January ?

A friend and I are looking at doing one of the two. We really don't have a state pinned down and if it would be archery or rifle. My question is what would be the most doable diy and in what state? Or what you would recommend? We are both in are mid 30's and we would go next yr. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Do you have any points in any states? If not I think Montana OTC Mule Deer in November would be hard to beat.

And did you know that both species are rutting in January during that AZ otc archery tag ?
I haven't done this hunt in 17 years because I've been applying for the strip and didn't want to kill a deer and not be able to play the draw. But now that I just drew the strip I can't wait to get back to chasing Coues and Mulies in AZ in January.
Oh, and did you know Javelina archery is also in January ?

I can sense a January road trip to AZ in my future. Could happen the next really bad bird hatch year here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back