Muley or coues?

The AZ archery tag that allows hunting in January is when the Coues are rutting hard. Usually the weather is rather nice compared to most Western and Eastern states. Tag price is not that high for a non-resident and can usually camp inside the unit. Downsides, though, include trying to stalk barefoot when everything seems to want to jab, cut or bite you plus you might encounter some folks who resent being encountered. Not much water so need to bring with you as camp and hike. Oh. the terrain can involve some steep inclines.

I prefer hunting Coues to Mulies, Blacktails or Eastern Whitetails.

Some muzz tags allow you your choice of either deer. Look into that. I took this deer on an any buck tag. Saw far more coues than muleys but wanted a good MD. You are able to use scopes on muzz guns and also sabots so you are not giving up much in the way of range.

Attachments

• 1MuleDeer.jpg
    1MuleDeer.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I can sense a January road trip to AZ in my future. Could happen the next really bad bird hatch year here.

I don't know about the winter deer hunt, but sneaking away from the cold north and chasing javelina is addictive. Hard to beat glassing in 70-80 degree temps, while home is getting another winter storm.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back