MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Muley hunting around Miles City, Mt

AlleghenyElk

Hello all. Planning on doing a rifle mule deer hunt around the Miles City, Mt area this fall. Looking at hunting HD 704 mainly but depending on pressure and deer numbers, may check out 705 and 701 as well. We've never hunted this area before so was just curious if anyone had any incite on how the deer populations are in the area and also the hunting pressure. The biologists that I've spoke with make it sound like there's lots of deer as long as were not trophy hunters. I'm going to assume since its so close to Miles City there will most likely be lots of hunters but that's to be expected. We are FAR from being trophy hunters, just looking for a chance at a couple decent Muleys. Planning on getting there around the end of the first week and prob only hunting for 3 days or so. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone in the woods this fall!!

Assuming you are hunting public land, if a 110 inch buck fits "decent" for you, I'm sure you will dig a couple up. Have super low expectations on the deer hunting and quality aspect of the hunt and just enjoy the landscape.

Being honest here, super low expectations is the right idea both quantity and quality. Our deer populations in this area have been absolutely crushed by the drought. I’m not sure the “pro’s” have a very good handle on it. It’s bleak. You can still have fun. I wouldn’t even expect to see “a lot” of deer but depending on where your from it may still seem like a lot. Good luck

Was out in 705 last year - I would recommend spending your time in a different area. Population was way down compared to years past. Good Luck.

Populations are abysmal. Age class abysmal.

In the picture I see 2 yr olds and one 3yr old, none of which should be killed.

It’d be nice if the hunting public by and large had any self control. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard “well, it was the last couple days and I couldn’t find a big one, so I shot this little one “.
The one absolute truth I can tell you is this, “every buck killed this year has ZERO chance of being bigger next year “.

Populations are abysmal. Age class abysmal.

In the picture I see 2 yr olds and one 3yr old, none of which should be killed.

It’d be nice if the hunting public by and large had any self control. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard “well, it was the last couple days and I couldn’t find a big one, so I shot this little one “.
The one absolute truth I can tell you is this, “every buck killed this year has ZERO chance of being bigger next year “.
Sounds like you should be taking pictures and not hunting. For some people, its about the experience and putting some meat in the freezer. If numbers and age class are low, its game and fish's responsibility to manage the unit for better trophy potential. Cant hate on a hunter that takes a legal animal in a unit.

Sounds like you should be taking pictures and not hunting. For some people, its about the experience and putting some meat in the freezer. If numbers and age class are low, its game and fish's responsibility to manage the unit for better trophy potential. Cant hate on a hunter that takes a legal animal in a unit.
Actually I can hate on a hunter for that.

When the herd is in dire straits just stop shooting for awhile. Plenty of opportunities for meat in the freezer in Wyoming.

Do not mistake disappointment for hatred.

Let them grow....always see out of state plates usually pulling a trailer with a deep freeze on it....ready for meat...parked at the hotel in 1 of the little towns and 9/10 they are killing the biggest forkie on their last day so they can take something home!! A guy could buy a lot of beef for the cost of coming to Montana and shooting a 2point, Montana will be paying for it for years after the meat buck is gone.

Actually I can hate on a hunter for that.

When the herd is in dire straits just stop shooting for awhile. Plenty of opportunities for meat in the freezer in Wyoming.
I am originally from Montana, moved to Idaho for 8 years when I got out of the
Marine Corps, and transfered to Wyoming a few years back. I know the potential in each of the states along with the management from game and fish. There are plenty of opportunities in each state. Its your prerogative to chase "mature trophies" vs following the guidelines that allow hunters to shoot a 2 point.

Do I agree with the number of out of state tags? No, but thats a lot of funding for conservation. Will I shoot a 2 point in a general unit in the last week of season? Yup, sure will, in all 3 states.

There are plenty of "trophy units" you can apply for.

SE Montana has sadly turned into a "opportunity unit" very few of the 160+ class bucks remain on public land, if you find one it is a rare event and you are one of the few to lay eyes on it. I stopped hunting there 2 years ago and as hard as it was to not visit with locals that have become my friends over 20 years I just could not justify the tag price VS quality anymore. I will be watching for signs of a change but with the rough last few years, mixed with lack of cover from historic fires I do not see it happening anytime real soon. The only thing that would change it is to make it a limited draw unit and that is not going to happen either.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back