Muley hunting around Miles City, Mt

In 5 days of archery hunting I saw 6 deer on public land in the southeast area. 2 fork horn bucks that I'm sure will die before November.

Even the private fields were pretty grim looking.

Pretty spectacular.
I hope some of the local hunters show up to game and fish's open house to express their concerns. Maybe they will make some of the areas LE/controlled/draw hunts. I am a big believer in fewer tags, but I dont pass up opportunities to put meat in the freezer either. I use to hunt SW Montana when I lived there, usually ran into a good muley or whitetail each year fairly commonly, but that was in the early 2000's. I havent put in for a Montana hunt since 2006, but I hope they get on a better track for some of the units after readining a lot of the residents concerns.

Few things I love more than watching an “Eastern Montana Deer” thread blow up! I’ve seen less emotion at weddings and funerals. The only way it could get better is if the OP added that he was looking forward to shooting deer a long range with his new 6.5 Creedmoor, but I digress….

To the OP, if you hadn’t already noticed, folks are pretty passionate on here about eastern Montana mule deer hunting. Short story, it used to be amazing. Then TV personalities like Eastman (and Randy too, but he gets a pass) told the secret and non-nonresidents (who account for about 15% of the hunters but are almost all from Minnesota) are shooting ALL the marginal bucks and have essentially ruined the state’s deer hunting. Especially in the eastern part of the state because the same 15% of the hunters who are exceptional marginal buck killers are also too lazy to drive more than a few miles past the state line. There are also a whole lot of people who show up late summer/early fall (because why plan in advance?) who create an account, don’t contribute anything, and on their first day post something like “heading to Montana for a deer hunt, any recommendations on the Eastern part of the state?” Those same posters also never try the search function (because it’s been covered dozens of times) then disappear after gleaning as much local intel as possible and never post or contribute again.

That being said, I too have hunted the eastern part of the state (2018) and will say this - our group of four saw almost 100 deer in one morning hunt. We saw several bucks that would have been around 120in and elected not to shoot any. We then packed up and drove to central Montana (which we found out from the locals had also been ruined by Minnesota hunters) and hunted the timber for elk and deer. It is really cool country and is a fun deer hunt if you like relatively easy walking, are a road hunter (gasp), or enjoy looking at a lot of deer. From my experience and the experience of others, it is not a place you will likely find a wall-hanger if you are into that sort of thing. That is of course dependent on how you define “wall-hanger.”

Good luck and whatever you do, please take some time and let us know what you did and how you did it. We would love to know!

Populations are abysmal. Age class abysmal.

In the picture I see 2 yr olds and one 3yr old, none of which should be killed.

It’d be nice if the hunting public by and large had any self control. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard “well, it was the last couple days and I couldn’t find a big one, so I shot this little one “.
The one absolute truth I can tell you is this, “every buck killed this year has ZERO chance of being bigger next year “.

I like to hunt for the experience, time with my son and friends, beautiful country. If I don't feel like shooting something, I don't and have had tag soup many times. But if it's legal, and want to shoot it....then I'm going to. Couldn't care less what someone thinks about it. Don't like it? Take it up with the DNR and the legislature to change the rules and regs.

That said, I've never hunted MT or WY.

I hope some of the local hunters show up to game and fish's open house to express their concerns. Maybe they will make some of the areas LE/controlled/draw hunts. I am a big believer in fewer tags, but I dont pass up opportunities to put meat in the freezer either. I use to hunt SW Montana when I lived there, usually ran into a good muley or whitetail each year fairly commonly, but that was in the early 2000's. I havent put in for a Montana hunt since 2006, but I hope they get on a better track for some of the units after readining a lot of the residents concerns.

But then what would they come on here and complain about? Light beer and flat bill hats I suppose...

In 5 days of archery hunting I saw 6 deer on public land in the southeast area. 2 fork horn bucks that I'm sure will die before November.

Even the private fields were pretty grim looking.

Pretty spectacular.
Same.
I took a three day bowhunt for whitetails last week. Hunted a BMA which I have visited routinely for 25 years. Killed some really nice deer over the years 140-150's class. Springtime always find sheds while turkey hunting.
No sheds last two springs.
Hunted first night from ground blind...no deer. Didn't bump any deer in the timber. Didn't see any deer trails or tracks. Next morning I said screw it, bad feeling. Got up at daybreak and headed out with binos. Did a three mile loop , didn't see a single deer of any type. Not a track. Walked through the known haunts in the timber...nothing.
Left at 9:30 am.
It's a bummer.

I Will I shoot a 2 point in a general unit in the last week of season? Yup, sure will, in all 3 states.
And this is why we are where we are.

Low buck/doe ratios and hunters asking/demanding FWP do something is why there are some damn good LE units in the state.

The easy thing to have done was keep pounding forkys and waiting for FWP to do something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hem

Low buck/doe ratios and hunters asking/demanding FWP do something is why there are some damn good LE units in the state.

The easy thing to have done was keep pounding forkys and waiting for FWP to do something.
Data is showing in region 7 we have 30-40 bucks per 100 does. That doesn’t change it isn’t accurate but it does not change never has in my life. People are pissed people and they have showed up and demanded change. Asking the public to self regulate is not going to work and honestly shouldn’t be expected. I have a lot of respect for what you guys were able to do hopefully it stays that way.

Data is showing in region 7 we have 30-40 bucks per 100 does. That doesn’t change it isn’t accurate but it does not change never has in my life. People are pissed people and they have showed up and demanded change. Asking the public to self regulate is not going to work and honestly shouldn’t be expected. I have a lot of respect for what you guys were able to do hopefully it stays that way.
I disagree. The boys up in R/1 got a unit changed to LE just a few years ago.

I thought that was 1/2 a unit changed. Just guessing but I suspect they showed where it would produce more revenue. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We can’t get the local staff in R7 to even acknowledge there is any sort of a problem. How could we expect change? They have decided educating us is the solution😂. See the montana mule deer mismanagement thread.

LE units are managed for trophy opportunity, general units are managed for more hunting opportunities/conservation income. Thats the way it works. You can choose to hunt LE only if you'd like. Maybe Montana should go to an all points system where you need to wait 15 years to draw a good tag. That should make you happy... hunting 5 times in your life. Im sure all of you guys only shoot 350" bulls and 180" muleys or dont pull the trigger. The hate hunters get for harvesting a perfectly legal animal in a legal unit, not designed for trophy potential... blows my mind.

LE units are managed for trophy opportunity, general units are managed for more hunting opportunities/conservation income. Thats the way it works. You can choose to hunt LE only if you'd like. Maybe Montana should go to an all points system where you need to wait 15 years to draw a good tag. That should make you happy... hunting 5 times in your life. Im sure all of you guys only shoot 350" bulls and 180" muleys or dont pull the trigger. The hate hunters get for harvesting a perfectly legal animal in a legal unit, not designed for trophy potential... blows my mind.
I think you are misguided along with many on here. @tzone I love to hunt mule deer limited entry has not been brought up much but it would be effective. There is a lot that could be done before limited entry comes in to play but we aren’t far from it if we continue. If you adjusted seasons at all you can provide a lot of opportunity. Accessible land would have to recover first. FWP would have to be straight with the public. It could be easily done with the right people in charge.

Designed? It’s a statewide general tag valid for all but a few units in the state that encompasses the entire rut. I don’t think anyone is worried about 180”😂😂. I hunted 2 or 3 weeks last year and saw exactly 1 over 150”. 😂
Im just adding my perspective. Im no longer a resident of Montana and no longer hunt there. Good luck on everyones season, in all states.

While I’ve only been hunting that part of the state for just shy of a decade I’ll bet you the price of your deer tag you can’t turn up 160” buck let alone kill it. Things has made a significant change in the last 3-4 years

However limited entry is not a statewide solution. That’s the death of hunting and a model for the utah way. Weapon and timing restrictions are all that’s needed. And no doe killing on public land unless a unit has over population on public
I agree with you. I was being facetious about the points system. Utah is a mess. I am also against any doe tag unless trying to cull a deer population. Hunting weapon specific, like archery only or rifle only, and adjusting the seasons not to include the rut, would make a huge difference. But, people would complain about that too.

Back