Mule Deer Forecasts

MaxPower

Now that most state draws are complete, has anyone seen any good big game forecasts for the West?

I'm looking specifically for Wyoming Deer or Antelope, but am always interested in big game outlooks and how herds may be doing. In my area we had a mild winter and wet spring, so Deer and Antelope are really doing well regarding fawn recruitment and winter mortality (and I'd assume antler growth).

I guess I'm not an expert but spent all spring in the mountains hunting bears....and I haven't seen this many deer, and more importantly bucks, in a long time. In one evening I saw over a hundred deer and more than 25 were bucks. It was awesome to see.

I think this is going to be a very very good year for numbers and antler growth. Our third mild winter in a row in SW Idaho followed by a decently wet spring. It greened up 2-3 weeks later than usual, but I think that's good in that the feed will carry moisture later into the summer. Although this 10 day forecast is a joke so we'll see about that.

The easy winter has our herd very healthy in Western Montana. I do worry this bad drought will affect this fall's horn growth however.

Glad to hear it's sounding good on multiple fronts.

POk - I'm jealous you got to hunt bears this Spring and see so many deer. Are you in Wyoming?

Word is that it will be an excellent growth year on the AZ strip. Maybe this will be my year.........I put in for archery as a 2nd choice.

I think its gonna be a great year, seeing some bucks with growth that looks way ahead of schedule. Went for a walk last night and saw this guy just at dark, managed a few cell phone shots.

Attachments

• 20150624_214916.jpg
    20150624_214916.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 20150624_215134.jpg
    20150624_215134.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 429
Has anyone heard anything about Colorado? Drew my 1st mule deer tag this year and can't wait to see what all the fuss is about :)

I'm headed out to MT for some backpacking next week.. I hope to have enough time to swing down through my area in NW Wyoming on the way back for a day or 2 of recon.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back