Mule Deer Doe Off Tasting?

Lots of these ideas may work in some places but boning out a bull in the back country of any western state where the water may be a 2000 foot descent and probably frozen is simply not practical.

Keeping hair off meat on a steep hill side covered in snow and downfall also not possible.

Boned out meat hung in a tree till it all can be packed out likely will be frozen rock hard by the time you get the job done.

Anyone that says they can have never done it. Try a Montana wilderness elk hunt in late November with a backpack on.

Lots of these ideas may work in some places but boning out a bull in the back country of any western state where the water may be a 2000 foot descent and probably frozen is simply not practical.

Keeping hair off meat on a steep hill side covered in snow and downfall also not possible.

Boned out meat hung in a tree till it all can be packed out likely will be frozen rock hard by the time you get the job done.

Anyone that says they can have never done it. Try a Montana wilderness elk hunt in late November with a backpack on.

E2D57726-AD79-44E1-8E3C-CA41DCD586B9.jpeg
4195B50E-38A4-4D41-BBB9-00D13A9ED74A.jpeg
Not snowing but super steep wilderness with a backpack. Meat was clean as a whistle. Used paracord to make a meat pole, one guy works on quartering while the other hangs the quarters and then carefully bones out the meat into meat bags. Takes about 2hrs to do a good clean job, snow makes it way easier to keep the meat clean IMO. I literally was able to take the meat from the top picture out in my kitchen, break the muscles apart and cut it into steaks.
I also use a different knife for skinning and boning out the meat. It is possible to keep the meat clean if you make it a priority and plan ahead.

picture of the deadfall hell hole we were in.
07F5FE0E-D0B5-4641-9716-2A541924D471.png
Came from the bottom of all those wind blown pecker poles.
B563E856-25A7-4C3F-8B42-97483C6ABB59.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey onpoint I see some hair on those quarters! :)

Of the 40 plus elk I have killed they have come out various way, some easier than others. Some harder especially by yourself. Although few and far between my favorites were the ones that came out whole. Never had one that tasted bad.

I sure wouldn’t leave that unskinned lower leg attached.

No snow on this one but the bull slid into a pile of downfall.

A27157F2-76D6-4BC8-8387-1B9021BA6F22.jpeg

Last edited:
"Hey onpoint I see some hair on those quarters"!

Everything we eat comes out 1/4'd, bone in, hide on, loins-straps-trim probably will have some hair on it. I know it's all wrong. Story of my life.
Just grilled and et some of those post-hair-removal tenderloins.😱

Don't think I'd eat chimp on a stick bush meat in Rwanda on a hot summer night, though - gotta' draw the line somewhere..........

Don't think I'd eat chimp on a stick bush meat in Rwanda on a hot summer night, though - gotta' draw the line somewhere..........

Bush meat isn't half bad if it's been smoke cured.. I can say that I have had worse..;-)

Taste, no. Hot boning can have an affect on tenderness, although the cuts most affected are ones almost everyone in the west (loins, backstrap, etc.) hot bones and few would describe as "tough".https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/mmb/articles/1/1/207

Yep. Although the age of the animal greatly affects this. On a younger animal I doubt you’re going to notice a difference. If you’re worried about it, leave the thawed meat in the fridge for a couple of days.

Oh yeah. Processing meat too warm not only makes it harder to handle, it affects the taste and if you stack the meat too early in the freezer, the meat in the middle takes a really long time to freeze and starts to rot. I freeze what I butcher in single layers until frozen then move to the chest or my other upright freezer.

A deer that was killed, processed immediately, and then put in the freezer is not going to rot, unless you wrap it in a sleeping bag before putting it in there.

Some of the stuff I’m reading here makes me think the wolves ate all critical thinking as well as the elk.

One hair in a pack of meat does not ruin. Getting dirt or leaves on it does not ruin it.

Stacking meat in the freezer does not predispose it to spoilage, unless it was already at that point when you processed it and then you stacked it tight and didn’t turn your freezer down all the way.

The buck I shot this year was kind of a mess when I was done. I was in a hurry and a hell of a long ways from the truck. It had dirt, leaves, and hair on it. I used the same blade for all processing. I loaded it in the Mystery Ranch and spent five hours packing it out at temps of 45-50.

I butchered it two days later, cleaning as I trimmed and processed. My teenage girls said they were some of the best steaks they’ve ever had. And I even had to remove hair when I took it out of the package.

I’m in no way advocating sloppy processing, but as @mtmuley said, the overthink tank is really swirling.

Always process Javelina myself and it has hair and dirt on it (Az.)
When someone would complain when eating it...."That shows
you know you are eating the real deal!"Didn't effect the taste at all.Ha!,Ha! 🔥

So a roast from the inside of a quarter is going to cool faster hung up as complete ham at ambient temps of less than 40 than a muscle group cut out of the quarter and put in a freezer with temps around zero? Interesting, I would never have guessed it works that way
never said it did work that wat

I'm willing to bet you didn't use the "TenderBuck"........extreme sarcasm. Youtube it for those who don't know what I'm referring to.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back