Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mule Deer Doe Off Tasting?

Muleys32

I am sure this has been covered at length, but I had a question. I got myself a mule deer doe this year in MT. I shot it after it got kicked up by another hunter and it ran 400-500 yards to my spot. When it stopped below me I shot it and it died right there. My dad and myself quartered it up, careful to not hit any glands or anything. I then proceeded to process it that evening and put it in the freezer right away.

I have now tried three chunks of backstraps on it and the flavor is not like it has been in the past (5 mule deer killed and processed immediately or shortly after in the last 4 years just like this one that all tasted great). It isn't brutal but I have to work to finish a piece.

My question is do you think it is because it was startled from the other hunter (the other hunter shot at a different deer which scared this one into me) and this made the meat off? Or is it just a fluke? It is edible but I find myself having to work to finish a chunk of backstrap whereas I use to always find myself looking for more after I scarf it down.

I don’t know why it’s not tasting right, but I do know that it’s NOT because it was spooked up. Half of my antelope were spooked up before I killed them. They all have tasted fantastic in the 20 years I’ve hunted. All my mule deer have tasted good too aside from 1. Couldn’t do anything to save that buck.

Good to know! I have ate 5 mule deer and all have been awesome. This one is the only one I have ever had to try to finish a meal. The ground meat has worked well in taco salad so it might just be a ground meat deer. That would be a shame though!

worked on a farm when I was young and the farmer always told me if an animal gets worked up and stressed before we butcher it lactic acid can build up and cause a poor taste
Ive always kinda believed it, a friend took a road kill the happened in front of him one yr and it tasted bad dont know if this could be the case with your deer or not

worked on a farm when I was young and the farmer always told me if an animal gets worked up and stressed before we butcher it lactic acid can build up and cause a poor taste
Ive always kinda believed it, a friend took a road kill the happened in front of him one yr and it tasted bad dont know if this could be the case with your deer or not

It's called a dark cutter.

The lactic acid thing has always baffled me because its the lactic acid, and other by products of lactic acid bacteria, that give our fermented sausages their great flavor. Any meat scientists out there care to elaborate on this one? I've also heard that there are some enzymes common to beef that enhance the aging process compared to game meats. Not sure how valid that is, but its an interesting idea.

My guess is you didn’t let it cool down enough and it spoiled . You said you butchered that evening. Did u let it cool down ? Just a thought .

What type of area were you hunting,and what was the Deer eating?
Might be the feed it was finding?Here in Az. in the desert there is not the
greatest selection of food sources,Deer tend to be gamey. 🔥

Your friend a hillbilly or what??

I am sure this has been covered at length, but I had a question. I got myself a mule deer doe this year in MT. I shot it after it got kicked up by another hunter and it ran 400-500 yards to my spot. When it stopped below me I shot it and it died right there. My dad and myself quartered it up, careful to not hit any glands or anything. I then proceeded to process it that evening and put it in the freezer right away.

I have now tried three chunks of backstraps on it and the flavor is not like it has been in the past (5 mule deer killed and processed immediately or shortly after in the last 4 years just like this one that all tasted great). It isn't brutal but I have to work to finish a piece.

My question is do you think it is because it was startled from the other hunter (the other hunter shot at a different deer which scared this one into me) and this made the meat off? Or is it just a fluke? It is edible but I find myself having to work to finish a chunk of backstrap whereas I use to always find myself looking for more after I scarf it down.

If a deer is running or stressed, adrenalin is pumped into the muscles. That lends to a foul taste. This is why I prefer not to shoot game that has been running hard whether it be from hunting pressure or depredation.

If the animal was already wounded, there is a good chance bile may of leached into the meat.

When I get an animal like that that I knew had faced some heavy hunting pressure or depredation, I make that critter all into hamburger and sausage. I know others have a different opinion and that is cool, but this is what I do myself.

My guess is you didn’t let it cool down enough and it spoiled . You said you butchered that evening. Did u let it cool down ? Just a thought .

It was 20-30 degrees that day. Quartered it out, hauled to truck, drove an hour back to camp. Butchered that evening and put in to the freezer, but I have done that several times with great results.

But is letting it cool down prior to processing it a thing?

Reactions: JCS
What type of area were you hunting,and what was the Deer eating?
Might be the feed it was finding?Here in Az. in the desert there is not the
greatest selection of food sources,Deer tend to be gamey. 🔥

Sage country. But have eaten a few deer from here with great results as well.

It was 20-30 degrees that day. Quartered it out, hauled to truck, drove an hour back to camp. Butchered that evening and put in to the freezer, but I have done that several times with great results.

But is letting it cool down prior to processing it a thing?

Deer and elk both benefit by dry aging but you want to do that as a carcass. If it is between 30 and 70 all day, you can hang a deer or the quarters in a shady area or in a garage. When I can, I like to dry age deer especially for about 7 days. You can't really do that if the highs are above 70 and you don't have a cool enough area to hang it.

And personally, yes, I do recommend that the meat be fully cooled before processing. For one, it gets easier to handle if you can cool it down to right above freezing.

Deer and elk both benefit by dry aging but you want to do that as a carcass. If it is between 30 and 70 all day, you can hang a deer or the quarters in a shady area or in a garage. And personally, yes, I do recommend that the meat be fully cooled before processing. For one, it gets easier to handle if you can cool it down to right above freezing.

I think I had it plenty cool, but can't recall. Could it be the case that not cooling it enough could effect the taste?

I hunted deer with dogs for 20+ years in Louisiana swamps. Have cleaned and eaten parts of dozens of deer that were chased for miles before being shot. Between being chased and running through the swamp I don’t think the deer could get much more stressed. Most hunts involved a dozen or more hunters and every deer shot was butchered and divided equally amongst all hunters. (So I sampled many many deer). Many of the deer were dragged for 2to 4 hours, ungutted, through the swamp back to the boat. Comparing those deer with deer I killed on still hunts (calm when shot, immediately cooled and processed) during the same time period I could never tell the difference.

I don’t think that having been run after being “spooked” is as relevant as to their diet or water consumed.
Many years ago, I head shot a doe mule deer during a late season hunt. She was feeding and totally unaware of my presence. Instant kill! After processing her, we couldn’t eat her and had to open the windows ( winter in Wyoming) to get the “stench” out of the house. We had to throw her away. About 15 years prior to this, my wife’s ex-father in law, killed a moose in the same area. They could hardly eat the moose. Generally moose are very good eating. I have to believe that it was likely the water source in the area. We do have some “pretty funky” water in some locations of Wyoming.

About 7 or 8 years ago my wife killed a “fall” bear. It was inedible, unlike the 3 previous “spring” bears we’ve taken....which were delicious. Again, I’m guessing diet, as it was eating any and everything preparing for hibernation!

It’s been noted that Alaskan bear, on a high fish diet, have a very “fishy” taste! memtb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back