PEAX Equipment

Mule Deer calls?

Brachii

Do mule deer respond to fawn/doe calls like white tails or black tails? Anyone have a call they’ve been successful with that would recommend? Thanks!

I can't speak for everyone only from my experience and only for Wyoming. Since you cant hunt the rut in Wyoming in most places calling is pretty ineffective. I've also never heard does making any sounds. You would be better off with a good pair of optics and spend the effort glassing then close the distance by stalking in. Or drive around and hope for the best.

I've not had them respond to grunts though I would suspect a rutting muley would investigate. I've had does respond to fawn bleats a couple times but not consistently. I've wondered if it was an age class thing...do certain animals respond and of which age class kind of thing. I don't hunt mule deer does anymore so I never got the chance to test it.

Most of the sounds I’ve heard outta mulies are alert calls. Other deer will lift their heads and swivel their ears but not investigate. Mulies just don’t seem to be that curious.

I have used a fawn in distress call before with success. Those does sure don't like that sound and come right in and if there is a buck in the group he will follow.

I've always been fascinated with calling things so have been playing with it for a lot of years now. I've heard does and fawns talk to each other quite a bit, kind of a bleat type thing. While predator calling I've had does come in quite often to check things out and have called both bucks and does with deer type bleats. Calling can be magic, sometimes they appear and other times you can make em disappear.

I'll have to agree with JDinMT, deer make a lot of noise just not loud. I have the same luck with a distress call, I feel a bit guilty getting a doe all worked up and headed my way and in a hurry. Bleats work, if nothing more than to hold deer up. My favorite call is the calls-m-all call. Good luck and good hunting!

Anyone ever tried rattling for them? There's a spot I drew a third season (CO) tag for this year that in years past I've seen bucks grunting and chasing each other (although no actually fights) by closing weekend. Two ran around me for 10min like I wasn't even there at one point. I've wondered if early in the rut you could get them to come to the sound of a fight.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back