Much Needed R+R!

Big Sky

I haven't done a lot of posting the last month or two because work and life have been driving me crazy and stressing me out beyond belief. Sometimes a guy just needs to walk away from everything for a brief escape to get his mind right again. That is exactly what I did last night after work. I got a tip from a friend about a tiny creek up in the mountains that was chuck full of cutthroat trout and rarely received any fishing pressure. So I put the pedal to the metal last night after work and zipped up into the mountains as fast as I could without wrecking my pick up.

The hike into the creek was very pleasant. Note the well beaten trail into the creek. Yup, there wasn't one and that is just what I was hoping for.
Hughsville%209-1-15C_zpszp4dmznu.jpg

I crept up to the first hole very carefully and made my first cast right into the center the white water in the center of the photo.
Hughsville%209-1-15A_zpstke7wvdq.jpg

I was rewarded with an immediate strike, and an absolutely stunningly beautiful little cutty.
Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15C_zpsjcmczgev.jpg

From there on out it was cast after cast and strike after strike. Every single hole produced fish eager to bite. I have no idea how many fish I missed or landed, but the action was fast and furious. I didn't even have time to think about the things in life that have been bogging me down. I mean how can you when you hold a fish as beautiful as this in your hand?
Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15F_zpsix4dqehr.jpg

Time slipped away all too fast, and before I knew it the evening was growing late, and I knew I had to head back out to my pick up. I decided to catch at least one more fish and then go. This chunky little cutthroat obliged my wish and capped off a perfect adventure.
Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15E_zps2vyyu0mg.jpg

I am guilty of being so consumed with catching trout 18" or larger, I had completely forgotten just how much fun catching feisty little high mountain trout can be. It's been years since I've had this much fun in a tiny mountain creek, but you can bet I won't let so much time slip away before I return to this little piece of paradise. So somewhat reluctantly, I took one last look at the creek before climbing up to the trail to hike out. As I hiked back to my truck, I noticed there was more of a bounce in my step, and somehow, the weight of the world on my shoulders seemed much lighter. Sometimes fishy therapy is the best therapy there is.
Hughsville%209-1-15B_zpsu3pnj8zb.jpg

Great photos BigSky.

I spent last weekend fishing a little endorheic stream no wider than the one in your pictures. Not only is catching little mountain trout refreshing and stress-relieving for the seasoned fisherman, I think it is the best type of fishing that exists for young people.

Those mountain cutties are beautiful.

Incredible! Thanks for sharing. It took me there for a few minutes myself.

I am guilty of being so consumed with catching trout 18" or larger, I had completely forgotten just how much fun catching feisty little high mountain trout can be.

Exactly! I love catching the mountain brookies down in Tennessee. There is nothing like going to a stream that you know doesn't see a lot people.

Sounds heavenly. You're right, sometimes you just need to get away and recharge!

One thing I forgot to mention is aside from needing to just get away I needed somewhere that I could just concentrate on the fishing and nothing else. I do fish the creeks close to town as often as I can, but in the summer time the risk of running into rattle snakes is ridiculously high. I've run into 9 so far and I'm not even out looking for them. I don't think anyone on the planet hates them more than I do and when I know they are in the area my blood pressure is always a little higher. Where I fished last night the biggest risk from wildlife is running into a black bear or a mt. lion, but the odds of either is pretty remote. Truth be told the biggest risk is running into a dangerous human...personally I'd rather take my odds with a black bear.

As I hiked back to my truck, I noticed there was more of a bounce in my step, and somehow, the weight of the world on my shoulders seemed much lighter. Sometimes fishy therapy is the best therapy there is.
That statement is so true and the lack of fishing is certainly showing in my life. Thanks for sharing those awesome photos, they have an artist's touch - art and trout, a natural combination.

Great Work Troy. Glad you had the evening you were hoping for. Take care my friend.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back