Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT NR Leftover Big Game Combos?

CBranch

I cannot find anywhere that tells me if there were any leftover NR Big Game Combo tags. I drew mine and have a friend that would like to go with me this fall due to an opening in schedule; however, I have not heard if there were any leftover, when they would go on sale, or if we already missed it. If anyone has any info, please let me know.
Thanks!

Current Countdown:
•Big Game Combos: 1,935
•Elk Combos: 2,351
•Deer Combos: 1,367

could a non-res still get an elk combo in 410 for archery?

There is no "elk combo" for 410 archery. You can still purchase a Montana general area elk combo but any elk hunting in 410 is through drawings. There is an archery elk permit for 410 for either sex elk (1900 permits of which ten percent may have been issued to NRs), but the application deadline was March 15. There is an archery elk B license for antlerless elk (600 total licenses of which ten percent may be issued to NRs) available with a drawing application deadline of June 1.

Not knowing whether you may want to hunt cow elk or not ... best answer is "maybe?"

I struggle understanding MT licencing, but does every MT resident that wants to hunt elk get a tag?

Yes, a general elk hunting license includes a "tag" and that's all you need to hunt in many hunting districts. However, some hunting districts are limited and require a special permit, with limitations as to number of permits, season lengths, and such.

To understand Montana's "tags" you must first distinquish between a license and a permit and among the differences in regions, districts, and areas (ie: weapons restricted area).

We don't have a "marketing" problem. We have resident fees that are too damn cheap. mtmuley

Dinkshooter, it means that as a resident, I would gladly pay more for my tags, possibly allowing FWP to reduce the amount of tags available to NRs. mtmuley

$

i wont be going back to mt as a nr sucker/ hunter. they have priced the tags/licences/whatever you want to call them; out of the market.econ 101:if the price goes up (nr tags)the demand goes down and you have>>> leftover tags.

$560 for a deer combo is ridiculous

I'm not defending the price, especially when compared to the pitiful fee we residents pay. But, even though there some deer combo tags left over following the draw, they did eventually all sell in 2013.

The raise in Price was part of the legislative initiative to take away the guaranteed outfitter tags. Good or bad thats the reason why, and we do have exceptionally low tag fees but i personally would gladly pay double each year as long as it goes into conservation and management. And after researching i have found that most western state cost about the same for deer after purchasing all the added things necessary to be able to hunt. In MT $560 has everything you need to hunt deer, upland birds and fish.

Last edited:
Back