Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT NR Big game Combo now over $1,000

Boo hoo

ID cost $958 min
WY cost $961 min

What have you been smoking? $154 NR hunting license, plus $416.75 for elk and $301.75 for deer. $872 and change for everything, add in a reduced price bear tag for $41.75 if you want. You can get everything in Idaho for what you pay for just a NR elk tag in MT.

That's funny, I was looking at elk tags that were left over during the rifle portion of the general season last year, pretty sure that's the last time I checked. I know that during early October they still had elk general tags for NR left.

Yes elk tags . Read my post . Like I said the deer combos were sold out mid summer and big game combo ( the deer /elk combo tag ) early fall . It's a fact

But yes your are correct that there were elk combos left , they never sold out cuz people would rather but the big game for 130$ more cuz it includes deer

And I wouldn't be suprised if tags go even faster this year due to lower gas and fewer tags available in other states

Buzz,

If I didn't live here, I wouldn't hunt here.

Lots of states doing a better job for the various species.

But with the long seasons, it is a pretty good deal for residents.

That is why I live in Montana, the tags price is very affordable for residents (and yes, I would be wiling to pay more) AND you have a fraction of the hunters compared to CO. Plus the scenery ain't half bad and I happen to enjoy slaying powdah during the winter months. I feel for the out of staters on the cost and yes there are issues with MTFWP and management. But hey......feel free to move here.....but the winter's are terrible.

Attachments

• FBSteppingUp-19-750.jpg
    FBSteppingUp-19-750.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 315
  • e2_G-Hunt-25-700.jpg
    e2_G-Hunt-25-700.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Beer wager?

sure :D . Whats your bett ? This is what I would guess , deer combos will be sold out by july 4th at midnight . Big game (deer/elk) combo will be gone by labor day at midnight , and elk combos will never sell out.

The Montana Deer combo will go the quickest, its popular because its $600 instead of $1,000 and some surrounding states ( ND , SD, WY ) have reduced tag numbers big time so lots of people without a tag in their home state are looking elsewhere . And because Montana has endless amounts of public land to hunt if you put your time in

Not trying to stick up for the montana fish wildlife and parks, I disagree with their management plans very much so, however it was the montana residents that went to the polls to stick us with the high cost of the combo tags, which my party gladly reminds our mt camp buddies every year. But it still beats sitting at home.

And I wouldn't be suprised if tags go even faster this year due to lower gas and fewer tags available in other states

I disagree, while lower gas prices may help some but just because a high priced tag is available doesn't mean people will spend the money for it. Everyone has a limit on how much they are willing to spend regardless of availability, and I think MT is starting to exceed that limit for a lot of out of staters.. For someone like me, the biggest thing MT has against it vs a state like CO is the drive 12-14 hours vs 20-22 hours is big difference, probably a bigger factor to someone further east or south. So along with the extra gas to pay to get there/back, possibly a night or two at a hotel, loss of a half day or so of scouting and/or hunting. When you add in those things the cost of it makes it even less attractive.

I disagree, while lower gas prices may help some but just because a high priced tag is available doesn't mean people will spend the money for it. Everyone has a limit on how much they are willing to spend regardless of availability, and I think MT is starting to exceed that limit for a lot of out of staters.. For someone like me, the biggest thing MT has against it vs a state like CO is the drive 12-14 hours vs 20-22 hours is big difference, probably a bigger factor to someone further east or south. So along with the extra gas to pay to get there/back, possibly a night or two at a hotel, loss of a half day or so of scouting and/or hunting. When you add in those things the cost of it makes it even less attractive.

I agree . But for all the ND SD and northern wy folks Montana is a lot closer . I just have a hunch tags will go fast

sure :D . Whats your bett ? This is what I would guess , deer combos will be sold out by july 4th at midnight . Big game (deer/elk) combo will be gone by labor day at midnight , and elk combos will never sell out.

No. The bet is that deer elk combo will take longer to sell than last year. Somehow we would need to find out if and when they sold out last year.

Last edited:
I agree . But for all the ND SD and northern wy folks Montana is a lot closer . I just have a hunch tags will go fast

You are correct but factor in a lot of the ND and WY residents work in the oil and coal industries which have taken a significant hit recently. Moody's Analytics has rated ND as being in a recession. The disposable income and consumer confidence are down in those areas so spending $1000 on the big game combo may take a lower priority for many people this season.

The deer elk combo? So the bet is that deer elk combo will be available after the 4th of July

The deer combo was . The big game (deer/elk combo ) wasn't gone until Labor Day . I'd guess that will be gone august 15

The Big game combo WAS gone in July, additional tags became available in Aug. only due to the returned tags of those who gained a tag through the draw and elected to turn in their tag. In Aug those tags were put back into the system for availability and then essentially sold out around Labor Day.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back