MT NR Big game Combo now over $1,000

Tag cost is the #1 reason I haven't hunted elk in Montana yet. Even if I'm willing to pay it, it doesn't mean my hunting partners are. If a NR Montana tag was in line with a Wyoming tag, we'd have been there this year. Instead we cashed in our 2 points for a Wyoming general tag.

The nice thing to know is now more than ever I dont need to apply because it's sure to be the biggest surplus of leftovers that they ever had.

600$ is a lot of money for a marginal deer. I love Montana but it's a hard price to swallow for what you get.

I can hunt marginal to average dear in MN for $54, and if I'm unicorn lucky I can pull an elk tag for less than the NR price in MT. That price is a little tough to swallow and it may push me out to ID.

That being said, I'm still dreaming of hunting MT for elk and mulies if I can sort it all out before I'm too old.

I'm planning on being there this year. Add $50 for a wolf tag for me. I won't gripe about it, I won't tell my wife how much it was, and I doubt I come away thinking I wasted my money :)

That said, if MT resident prices were that high, I wonder how many would buy the tag?

I have bought a MT combo every year for 15 years. I am to the point of burning my 10 elk points and moving on and calling it quits personally. It has gotten crazy both in price and management in my opinion. The good news is the new legislation tops of out where it is now if I understand correctly. Still over priced by 300 bucks easy in my book considering what you get outta the tags.

The nice thing to know is now more than ever I dont need to apply because it's sure to be the biggest surplus of leftovers that they ever had.

I wouldn't bet on that ..... I bet they sell out the deer and big game combo again , lower gas prices will help unfortunately

before at the previous price,,Montana had already priced itself out of my budget,,now it is even lower on my list for "bang per buck" states!! unless something changes, I hope Montana realizes they will not get my non-res moneys as there are several other places that give you far better "bang for the buck"!!!Montana is down around 7th place or so,,and by then im out of app moneys.

I buy a big game combo every year and I don't cry about it! Hunting is hunting, wether here or there!

Care to make a wager?

A friendly one , yes I do :D. I hope you realize that the deer combos were gone by July 4th and the big game combos by early fall. That was with gas prices a buck or so higher . And other states ( South Dakota and North Dakota and even wyoming) have cut back on some tags so more people are looking elsewhere

Been a back up hunt the last few years since they jacked the prices up. Their prices are out of whack for what they offer NRs. I love going to MT and I guess you could argue the long seasons are worth something.
Maybe the residents could pay a little more for a tag? Guess that wouldn't be fair, would it?

I am thankful that many of you shy away from it due to cost. If enough folks do, that might stop the increases. Personally, I go for deer most years. I grew up hunting in Montana and enjoy the old haunts a much as ever. Other states that are cheaper have dropped off my radar so that I can continue to return to Montana, but I would understand why many of you would feel exactly the opposite.

I am thankful that many of you shy away from it due to cost. If enough folks do, that might stop the increases. Personally, I go for deer most years. I grew up hunting in Montana and enjoy the old haunts a much as ever. Other states that are cheaper have dropped off my radar so that I can continue to return to Montana, but I would understand why many of you would feel exactly the opposite.

Its not about the money for me.

I really struggled with buying a MT NR elk tag last year and all it cost me was $80...

Its about a department that no longer cares for wildlife, doesn't care about managing what little is left, and lacks leadership with any kind of vision for the future of wildlife (other than a landscape void of big-game).

I would spend a grand on an elk tag no problem if there was a quality experience and proper management taking place.

Its not about the money for me.

I really struggled with buying a MT NR elk tag last year and all it cost me was $80...

Its about a department that no longer cares for wildlife, doesn't care about managing what little is left, and lacks leadership with any kind of vision for the future of wildlife (other than a landscape void of big-game).

I would spend a grand on an elk tag no problem if there was a quality experience and proper management taking place.

Well said . Agree 100%

But hey let's sell that NR coming in with a $1,001 combo tag , a cheap $80 B muley tag and completly decimate the muley herd, what a deal

I think Montana is a pretty good deal when you look at what you get. A fishing license, bird license and two big game tags for under 1100 as a NR. Honestly if you bought all those licenses in Wyoming as a NR you could easily spend more than 1100 and your not guaranteed to get a tag every year. That being said, I think Game and Fish could do better at managing their herds in Montana.
I am thankful to be able to hunt Montana every year. I probably will never shoot a 200" deer there but at least I have a tag to enjoy every year.

I think that if they had the cost at $999, there wouldn't be the outrage that we're hearing. Something about breaking that $1000 mark somehow psychologically pisses us off. Kind of like gas prices. They'll post gas prices at $1.99 9/10, and we'll go there 10x quicker than if a guy next door post his prices at $2.00 0/10. That is unless the guy next door has superior quality gas! Which is the point of some on here. Is Montana ' s quality better than the guy next door!
Saying that to say. I believe Montana will have tons of tags left over for the first year or two more than if they had the price $1.50 lower.
Regardless, I'll still be there in Sept.

Last edited:
A friendly one , yes I do :D. I hope you realize that the deer combos were gone by July 4th and the big game combos by early fall. That was with gas prices a buck or so higher . And other states ( South Dakota and North Dakota and even wyoming) have cut back on some tags so more people are looking elsewhere
But that already goes against my bet. What I mean is I am able to not put in for the draw and wait until most results are in for other states and use MT only as a backup. That way there is no worries about having overlapping tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back