Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mt hd 290

Clawsar

Hey everyone, just thought I’d prove here about the 290 District in Montana. Any thoughts on elk this late in the season? Are they all on private now or is there still a chance of some on the small amount of public? Is the Aunt Molly WMA easy to traverse or are the creeks and river too wide and deep for winter crossings? Any other thoughts? I’m ideally looking for an elk but a buck would be a very good 2nd ;) being Archery only now, are most people trying treestanda or are there even trees to hide in?

I know this may be too little too late but worth a shot. Thanks!

I found it from a shoulder season posting on the FWP site but the general refs list bucks open to Dec 15 and browtined or antlerless open to Jan 01. Archery only on both. Unless I’m completely misreading them... I don’t know the terrain either way or if the WMA or block management areas are productive this late in the season.
Thanks

Instead of internet scouting, maybe go put boots on the ground like many of us do. What u learn will be more valid than what your likely to glean from asking

HD 290 Helmville-Ovando Archery District --
NOTE: Deer hunting is restricted to ArchEquip Only in all of HD
290. The East Ovando Archery Only Area and Aunt Molly WMA
are restricted to ArchEquip only for all big game hunting; Hunters
may hunt Antlerless Elk with a fi rearm during the dates listed
below in all other portions of the hunting district.
Check Restricted Area Legal Description (p 16-17):Aunt Molly WMA
restricted to ArchEquip Only for all big game hunting; East Ovando Archery
Area restricted to ArchEquip Only for all big game hunting
General Deer License.
• Sep 02 - Dec 15 - Antlered Buck Mule Deer. ArchEquip only.
- Either-sex White-tailed Deer. ArchEquip only.
Deer B License. Drawing only. Apply by June 1.
290-51: 50 B Licenses.
• Sep 02 - Jan 01 - Antlered Buck Mule or Antlered Buck White-tailed Deer.
ArchEquip only.
Deer B License. Purchase beginning August 7.
290-00: Unlimited. ArchEquip only. Up to two OTC B Licenses per hunter.
• Sep 02 - Dec 15 - Antlerless White-tailed Deer. ArchEquip only.
General Elk License.
• Sep 02 - Jan 01 - Brow-tined Bull or Antlerless Elk. ArchEquip Only.
• Oct 21 - Nov 26 - Antlerless Elk.
Deer & Elk Regulations
2017 Deer • Elk • Antelope Visit http://fwp.mt.gov 43
Elk B License. Purchase beginning August 7.
290-00: Unlimited. One per hunter. ArchEquip Only.
• Sep 02 - Jan 01 - Antlerless Elk.
299-00: Unlimited. One per hunter. Valid in HDs 290 and 298. Only valid on
private land.
• Aug 15 - Feb 15 - Antlerless Elk.

Phutch, thanks for posting the regs for others. I’ll only be able to be there Saturday. So while it will be great scouting for next season, any advice for this specific trip would have been appreciated. I always prefer hiking-scouting vs e-scouting, but sometimes that is one of a thousand things I’d like to do but can’t. We’ll see how this weekend goes and maybe I’ll have a better idea for next year.

Radio silence means one of two things: either nobody hunts it or it’s an undiscovered hotspot and nobody wants to tell the World Wide Web. Some things you just have to find out for yourself.

What belly deep said is VERY TRUE.I'd get out there and hunt it.My guess is most wouldn't archery hunt this late,but I bet it's good earlier in the season.Either way,good luck.Snow on the ground could make for good still hunting

They're doing damage hunts there I believe starting this weekend; rifle deer. Watch out for grizzlies~

Most WMAs close to any and all access starting Dec 1, check before you go. And yes Aunt Molly is archery only zone.

Also, it is filthy with Grizz, I’m not trying to scare you just informing you, call the regional bear biologist to confirm if you want. Be careful and do not go in there unless you have bear spray.

Information I got today is Bears are still out and looking for food. I drove by there yesterday and several guys were hunting the area. Bear spray is a good idea. Has anyone ever used Bear spray in freezing temps? I was wondering if low temps effected the spray distance.

Thanks for any info,
Dan

Alright everybody, Aunt Molly is open, Archery only, for deer until Dec 15th and elk until Jan 01. It’s an interesting change from the environment in Seeley as there was some sage brush and hardwood trees with leaves vs mostly pines. This with freezing temps and no snow was very loud. I also passed by a couple bicycles, a pop up blind, and finally turned around when I would have had to weave through a couple guys up in a tree stand. I did see a decent buck, a weird 3x1, and several does but they were all out of range. Sitting and waiting was the only game plan but it seemed like most the deer (hundreds on adjacent private) knew where to stay safe. Beautiful strip of the Blackfoot, will definitely go back down with my fly rod, but may or may not try archery again there next year just from the crowd.

Didn’t see any bears or sign. I always carry bear spray as I’m either in northwest Montana or the Seeley Swan down to Seeley Lake and we have bears throughout the whole region. Dan, good question about it freezing though, I hadn’t considered that before

Dan,
https://www.udap.com/mm5/FAQS
Near the bottom they say it would spray as low as 0F, but should be stored above 32F for better shelf life. Makes me wonder about all the times I leave it on my pack holster in the bed of the truck. Normally I put it in one of the foam cases so if it were to discharge it wouldn’t be as big of a mess, but during archery season I was getting lazy. Good question and thanks!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back