MT FWP 2020 license info

Sytes

March 1st for new 2020 fish/hunt license.
Good move regarding able to apply for all tags at one time.
License year begins March 1, other changes for 2020
As the current license year is winding down, hunters and anglers can look for a few immediate changes for the coming year.

The new license year starts on March 1, which means that is the day you can buy your 2020 hunting and fishing licenses and begin applying for permits and special licenses.

The deadline to apply for deer and elk permits is April 1.

Hunters should keep a couple of things in mind as they look to the application process for this year.

First, this will be the first year that hunters will be able to apply for all their permits and special licenses at the same time. In the past, those application periods were separate due to the massive amount of work Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks had to do to enter paper applications. This year, all applications will be done online or electronically at an FWP office.

Another change hunters need to be aware of is the switch to regular paper for licenses, permits and carcass tags. In the past, hunters who applied online waited for their carcass tags to come in the mail. Now they’ll be able to print them off at home.

The process is pretty simple: If you’re purchasing a general elk or deer license or perhaps a sportsman license, you can do it online; at the conclusion of your purchase you’ll have one opportunity to print your carcass tags.

If you’re applying for a special license or permit, you will need to have a valid email address. If you’re successful in the drawing, you will receive an email with a link to follow to print your carcass tag one time.

The switch from the old license paper to regular paper will be more convenient for customers, who can complete their license application and purchase immediately in the comfort of their own home. The change to online or digital applications will allow for more accurate and quicker drawings. This year hunters who apply for elk and deer permits will know if they were successful two weeks after the deadline.

Trying to get used to plain paper license and tags (A ziplock sure helps). Nice to be able to carry my Sportsman license in my wallet. The sheer bulk of the old tags was a pain but I kind of liked them after the kill.

What will prevent someone from drawing a premium tag...printing it at home, making a copy, and then having two premium tags? Genuinely curious..has the FWP considered how to manage this and do they have any verification system in place? Or, will permits still be mailed and general tags printed at home? The print your own permit system sounds like a disaster IMO.

What about the ink? mtmuley

Has to be printed on a laser jet printer but it is completely waterproof. We also run it through alcohol and some other chemicals too and that can sometimes cause the ink to fade but it withstands water perfectly.

What will prevent someone from drawing a premium tag...printing it at home, making a copy, and then having two premium tags? Genuinely curious..has the FWP considered how to manage this and do they have any verification system in place? Or, will permits still be mailed and general tags printed at home? The print your own permit system sounds like a disaster IMO.
If you copy it there’s a symbol/or some way they can tell . You can only print tags once If you copy it they’ll know

There's supposed to be a special watermark that will only print out once with the original.. Not exactly how it's going to work as there is generally still a lot of confusion even within FWP about all of this. I don't like it one bit; I would never plan on taking advantage of a binderfull of tags, but plain paper, even if held in a plastic baggy, will sure get beat up during a season in your pack. Not to mention if it's raining or snowing out when you notch the tag it could just fall apart. I guess this is what happens when higher-ups at HQ don't hunt. The people that made this decision don't seem to get it.

Unless I missed it I didn't see where printing drawn permits was an option. mtmuley

"We would like to address comments and questions received concerning the new 2020 license and tag changes. Hopefully the below information will help clarify some of the confusion.

Carcass tag size - the tag itself takes up 1/3 of the 8.5x11-inch paper, which prints horizontally. It can be cut out along a dotted line, folded and placed into a plastic baggy and/or wallet.

When printing tags from home, a watermark and a unique number will show up. You will have a one-time link to print tags once, so be prepared. You can print it on any kind of standard-sized paper you wish. If you need a reprint, you'll have to go to a license dealer or FWP office, just like you do now, and it will be marked in the system. We've tested it, and the watermark prints from a typical home printer. If someone tries to photocopy a tag, the watermark will appear fuzzy, indicating potential fraud.

Small baggies will be provided at license providers, or you can use your own from home. Another idea, which came from a commenter to this thread, is to use clear shipping tape, cut a piece of each side like a lamination. Please protect tags/licenses the best way you see fit.

If a special permit is drawn, an email will be sent to the recipient. The email will include a one-time link to the permit and instructions on how to print it.

Licenses can be printed, or a digital copy can be saved on your phone. If you are not within cell service, simply take a screen shot of your licenses and save them in your phone gallery, which can be accessed without service. If you do not carry your phone, then print the license out and carry a hard copy.

The reason we had to make these changes are cost and technology. The printers we’ve used for years are no longer available and ours are breaking at an alarming rate. When a printer breaks, customers have one less place to get a license. Also, paper prices are going up across the board and the paper we’ve been using is very expensive.

With the shift to all electronic/online applications, we’ll have drawings complete two weeks after the deadline, not months."

From the Montana fish, wildlife and parks Facebook page. I couldn't find it on their website in a timely manner so I just copied what they posted. There still seems to be a lot of confusion.

Unless I missed it I didn't see where printing drawn permits was an option. mtmuley

"We would like to address comments and questions received concerning the new 2020 license and tag changes. Hopefully the below information will help clarify some of the confusion.

Carcass tag size - the tag itself takes up 1/3 of the 8.5x11-inch paper, which prints horizontally. It can be cut out along a dotted line, folded and placed into a plastic baggy and/or wallet.

When printing tags from home, a watermark and a unique number will show up. You will have a one-time link to print tags once, so be prepared. You can print it on any kind of standard-sized paper you wish. If you need a reprint, you'll have to go to a license dealer or FWP office, just like you do now, and it will be marked in the system. We've tested it, and the watermark prints from a typical home printer. If someone tries to photocopy a tag, the watermark will appear fuzzy, indicating potential fraud.

Small baggies will be provided at license providers, or you can use your own from home. Another idea, which came from a commenter to this thread, is to use clear shipping tape, cut a piece of each side like a lamination. Please protect tags/licenses the best way you see fit.

If a special permit is drawn, an email will be sent to the recipient. The email will include a one-time link to the permit and instructions on how to print it.

Licenses can be printed, or a digital copy can be saved on your phone. If you are not within cell service, simply take a screen shot of your licenses and save them in your phone gallery, which can be accessed without service. If you do not carry your phone, then print the license out and carry a hard copy.

The reason we had to make these changes are cost and technology. The printers we’ve used for years are no longer available and ours are breaking at an alarming rate. When a printer breaks, customers have one less place to get a license. Also, paper prices are going up across the board and the paper we’ve been using is very expensive.

With the shift to all electronic/online applications, we’ll have drawings complete two weeks after the deadline, not months."

From the Montana fish, wildlife and parks Facebook page. I couldn't find it on their website in a timely manner so I just copied what they posted. There still seems to be a lot of confusion.

Yes, there is still a lot of confusion. Not to mention being that they aren't accepting paper applications anymore, but have yet provide information on how to apply otherwise. Also one of the benefits of having the drawing a month after the deadline was that it gave biologists time in the spring to finish post-winter surveys and make last-minute quota adjustments. If the drawing is earlier then biologists won't has as much time to do the science and vet their proposals with the public.

The one time print link trick might work on @Stay Sharp and the boomers that use Kinkos.
I could make any tag in the state for myself if I wanted. I won’t, but I sure could.

Yes, there is still a lot of confusion. Not to mention being that they aren't accepting paper applications anymore, but have yet provide information on how to apply otherwise. Also one of the benefits of having the drawing a month after the deadline was that it gave biologists time in the spring to finish post-winter surveys and make last-minute quota adjustments. If the drawing is earlier then biologists won't has as much time to do the science and vet their proposals with the public.

Apply online...It’s 2020.Montana doesn’t have to worry about post winter surveys. We shoot every elk on site and manage for landowner tolerance.

The one time print link trick might work on @Stay Sharp and the boomers that use Kinkos.
I could make any tag in the state for myself if I wanted. I won’t, but I sure could.

Flattered to be living rent free between your ears 24/7. Thanks for that.

Instead of wondering "what would Jesus do?" I assume you go by "what would Stay Sharp do?". I cant say I blame you but I dont know what kinkos means.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back