MT ELK, Changing it up?

I don’t think you realize how hard people hold on to the R or D no matter who it’s in front of or what they’ve done. That’s the way it is in my part of Montana anyways.
Its definitely that way here. Whitefish is ultra liberal and Kalispell is ultra conservative. Everyone is dug in. But wildlife management is the one non-partisan issue that people will cross lines over.

I’m sure Albus and Shooter will be opposed.
Actually….I don’t think it’s a good idea. Talking with some other outfitters I’m close to….they don’t like it either. There are a lot more outfitters that are concerned for the resource than you realize. Obviously/unfortunately, there are still plenty that are not. Currently, elk aren’t part of my operation, so I don’t have a dog in the fight, but I can see how this could upset the apple cart in terms of age class, quality and access for the average DIY hunter. Just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.

Actually….I don’t think it’s a good idea. Talking with some other outfitters I’m close to….they don’t like it either. There are a lot more outfitters that are concerned for the resource than you realize. Obviously/unfortunately, there are still plenty that are not. Currently, elk aren’t part of my operation, so I don’t have a dog in the fight, but I can see how this could upset the apple cart in terms of age class, quality and access for the average DIY hunter. Just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.
Thanks for sharing. I am curious to hear more of your amd @Eric Albus perspective.

Beyond concerns for the DIY guys and the elk herd itself, what are some of you/your buddies concerns from an outfitter perspective? Lease prices going up, land owners taking trespass fees instead of leasing to reputable outfitters, both, something else?

Unfortunately I think you’re right. I think this past election was a perfect storm. The national stage of R vs D was as toxic as I can remember, and I think that trickled down to our State level. With COVID, racial issues, etc. etc. it was terrifying to think what could happen if the “wrong side” won. I’d be willing to be a vast majority of Montanans did not want to see MT head down the road of more mask mandates, government control, higher taxes, etc., myself included. That is why we saw the red wave happen in MT. I will admit that I definitely had reservations on GG, but thought the good outweighs the potential bad.

I was wrong. What the R’s did in this past legislative session and what this administration continues to do in their war on MT elk and public land hunters is such a gut punch. While I consider myself a strong conservative, I don’t see myself voting red in State elections again anytime soon.
I applaud you for having the nerve and honesty to admit your regret for helping GG get in to office.
But its too late now.

Thanks for sharing. I am curious to hear more of your amd @Eric Albus perspective.

Beyond concerns for the DIY guys and the elk herd itself, what are some of you/your buddies concerns from an outfitter perspective? Lease prices going up, land owners taking trespass fees instead of leasing to reputable outfitters, both, something else?
D: All of the above. But……this would not only affect lease prices for elk ground, but also every other game animal that resides on said ranches. Not to mention, land prices would skyrocket even worse than they have.

I’m a fan of Jack Ballard’s writing, but there’s no way that he wins a race in Eastern MT running as a Democrat.
That's what smart money would say, but stranger things have happened. Fifteen years ago it would sound inconceivable that a New Jersey businessman could be Montana's governor, but here we are. If there's any democrat that has a chance in hell in the eastern district, its got to be one whose resume includes baptist minister and avid public land outdoorsman.

That's what smart money would say, but stranger things have happened. Fifteen years ago it would sound inconceivable that a New Jersey businessman could be Montana's governor, but here we are. If there's any democrat that has a chance in hell in the eastern district, its got to be one whose resume includes baptist minister and avid public land outdoorsman.

Again in my part of the world the ONLY thing that matters is that R. People literally have no idea about a candidate and will still vote simply off that letter.

I always thought Jack and Lisa Ballard might just be @Hunting Wife and @HuntingHusband...
🤣 We aren’t nearly that accomplished, or known. Just a couple small-town homebodies.

It wasn’t that long ago that Montana still had a strong legacy of moderate Democrats that was very unique in American politics. One of the things I absolutely loved about this state - valued private property, valued wildlife and hunting, valued public land, valued gun rights, valued taking care of their neighbors.

Alas, whether due to the influx of “Don’t tread on me” folks who somehow think far right wing politics is “Montana values”, or just the general polarization we see pretty much globally these days, those politicians have no chance in hell of winning. All because people insist on voting for letters rather than candidates. What we see today is the predictable result. I haven’t seen anything change for the better in Montana.

I am no biologist so that this from a landowners perspective.
The first elk I saw in SE MT was in the early 70's, There was half a dozen cows and calves up on the Custer. The next elk I saw was in the early 90 and they were better than 50 miles from my property. The first elk I saw on my property was when a lone bull passed through in September of 97. In 2001 I drew the bull tag and had no chance of filling it on our place. Got lucky and filled it close to 50 road miles away on the Custer. Elk have been increasing ever since. Now I can most likely find elk any day of the year with in ten miles of the house if I put some effort into it. It is not uncommon to see herds of 200 on the irrigated land of some of the large and lightly hunted ranches. I have even seen that many on our place on occasion. For me a herd of 200 out on the Custer or the surrounding hills is not a big issue. Get 200 on your third cutting alfalfa that is selling for 300 dollars a ton and it is an issue. This proposal will do nothing to help with crop damage. It will probably make it worse. This proposal is about upping the tolerance for elk because it is now going to be easier to get payed.
How has land usage changed over that period? More pivots? More plantings? Given what I read on the degradation of Sage grouse habitat, I suspect I know the answer. I can’t fault the elk for being adaptive to our changes, and can’t fault ranchers for being irritated by it. The solution might just boil down $. Just need to figure out how much and who pays.

Agree that this isn’t going to solve anything on elk numbers. But also still contend it really isn’t meant to.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. I think this past election was a perfect storm. The national stage of R vs D was as toxic as I can remember, and I think that trickled down to our State level. With COVID, racial issues, etc. etc. it was terrifying to think what could happen if the “wrong side” won. I’d be willing to be a vast majority of Montanans did not want to see MT head down the road of more mask mandates, government control, higher taxes, etc., myself included. That is why we saw the red wave happen in MT. I will admit that I definitely had reservations on GG, but thought the good outweighs the potential bad.

I was wrong. What the R’s did in this past legislative session and what this administration continues to do in their war on MT elk and public land hunters is such a gut punch. While I consider myself a strong conservative, I don’t see myself voting red in State elections again anytime soon.
I 2nd this position. I would hope there is enough residents that can see their mistake and make sure GG is one and done.

Moved to MT several years ago from WA and was absolutely in awe in terms of the management and amazing hunting there. I was heartbroken to have to move back. Now I am saddened and sickened to see the direction the state is headed. Truly sad!!
What was your favorite quarry when you lived here? Raghorn bulls, 2yr old deer, or wolves?

That hasn't always been the case. Baucus won every county in Montana the last time he was elected to the senate.

That was 13 years ago though. Lots of demographic shifts since then (I loved Max, btw, he was an outstanding advocate for us in the Senate).

Remember folks, you have to sign up on zoom 24 hours in advance to testify.

Back