Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT ELK, Changing it up?

That hasn't always been the case. Baucus won every county in Montana the last time he was elected to the senate.
How quickly times change from when folks would elect moderates that wielded some power in DC on MT’s behalf instead of voting for sycophants that don’t get much done for their constituents ‘cause some links on Facebook said the state would be going full Stalinist if they didn’t. I’m not even sure Tester stands a chance of re-election if this trend of polarization continues against everyone’s best interests.

How quickly times change from when folks would elect moderates that wielded some power in DC on MT’s behalf instead of voting for sycophants that don’t get much done for their constituents ‘cause some links on Facebook said the state would be going full Stalinist if they didn’t. I’m not even sure Tester stands a chance of re-election if this trend of polarization continues against everyone’s best interests.

Tim Fox didn't stand a chance and there are a ton of solid, decent moderate republicans in MT who would be excellent public servants at the state level (and have been at the legislature). Hell, I don't know if Conrad Burns could get elected with today's primary voters.

David brooks has an excellent commentary on this that just came out in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...atism-dead-fox-news-voter-suppression/620853/

Tim Fox didn't stand a chance and there are a ton of solid, decent moderate republicans in MT who would be excellent public servants at the state level (and have been at the legislature). Hell, I don't know if Conrad Burns could get elected with today's primary voters.

David brooks has an excellent commentary on this that just came out in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...atism-dead-fox-news-voter-suppression/620853/
Not to get too far off topic, but I’ve always enjoyed (Comrade) Brooks’ commentary. I look forward to diving into this one.

Not to get too far off topic, but I’ve always enjoyed (Comrade) Brooks’ commentary. I look forward to diving into this one.

FIFY.....Just think of the discussion that could be had if we actually discussed the commentary on its merits instead of boiling it down to some overly simplified buzz word. In this day and age the only thing garnered from that statement is Brook's is a communist. Not that you actually enjoyed his thoughts on the topic even though you may disagree philosophically.

FIFY.....Just think of the discussion that could be had if we actually discussed the commentary on its merits instead of boiling it down to some overly simplified buzz word. In this day and age the only thing garnered from that statement is Brook's is a communist. Not that you actually enjoyed his thoughts on the topic even though you may disagree philosophically.
I understood that statement to convey that people who don’t agree with Brooks will most likely marginalize his commentary with malignant labels rather than refuting the logic of his argument.

As an aside, not even the communists are communists anymore. Totalitarian for sure, but then that streak runs strong in the hearts of men whose desire for power supersedes their concern for the welfare of their fellow man.

It gets expressed fairly often among D and R alike.

I was being sarcastic about Brooks in the sense that today’s conservatives consider him a left wing RINO for his intellectual questioning of the direction conservatism is headed. I’ve been a fan of Brooks’ since reading “Bobos in Paradise” during my undergrad days. See previous comments proclaiming my appreciation for rational centrist politics in Montana for context.

Edit: Also, what @Gerald Martin said.

I was being sarcastic about Brooks in the sense that today’s conservatives consider him a left wing RINO for his intellectual questioning of the direction conservatism is headed. I’ve been a fan of Brooks’ since reading “Bobos in Paradise” during my undergrad days. See previous comments proclaiming my appreciation for rational centrist politics in Montana for context.

Edit: Also, what @Gerald Martin said.
You guys might consider dumbing it down a little. I literally can read the last 4 comments 2-3 times and still just stare at my screen blankly.....nothing....literally nothing. Maybe its because my mind keeps getting stuck on figuring out how I can get my public land permit next year or at least keep my private land buddies from shooting all the bulls before I can get it.

How has land usage changed over that period? More pivots? More plantings? Given what I read on the degradation of Sage grouse habitat, I suspect I know the answer. I can’t fault the elk for being adaptive to our changes, and can’t fault ranchers for being irritated by it. The solution might just boil down $. Just need to figure out how much and who pays.

Agree that this isn’t going to solve anything on elk numbers. But also still contend it really isn’t meant to.
In my neck of the state not much has changed, (I am reluctant to type this )
Only three new houses built in the last 20 years, all the neighboring ranches have been in the same family at least 100 years. (South however most of the ranches have been consolidated into mega ranches and are now owned by very wealthy absentee owners.)
There are some pivots going in but for the most part they are on more than 100 year old water rights.

In my neck of the state not much has changed, (I am reluctant to type this )
Only three new houses built in the last 20 years, all the neighboring ranches have been in the same family at least 100 years. (South however most of the ranches have been consolidated into mega ranches and are now owned by very wealthy absentee owners.)
There are some pivots going in but for the most part they are on more than 100 year old water rights.
I've heard through local rumor, with no actual stats/resources to confirm, that private land in Powder River county MT is 90+% leased by outfitters. That has to be a phenomenon that's taken place in the last 10 or years if true?

I've heard through local rumor, with no actual stats/resources to confirm, that private land in Powder River county MT is 90+% leased by outfitters. That has to be a phenomenon that's taken place in the last 10 or years if true?
The first lease in Powder River county was right after the bad winter of 78, by 1990 leasing was common practice. 90% may well be true today and I doubt the number has changed much in the last 20 to 25 years. Long before elk were part of the equation

After I think about it a little I would not be surprised if outfitters are leasing less now than in 2000, I can think of several large ranches that have moved from outfitters to hunt clubs.

Last edited:
After I think about it a little I would not be surprised if outfitter are leasing less now than in 2000, I can think of several large ranches that have moved from outfitters to hunt clubs.
I’m about 1 more year of Greg from starting my own hunt club….🤬

Just bought my sons' grouse and rabbit preference points and bonus points. I am late to the game, they are 13. I hope they can hunt them when they are in their 70s.

How much for a year’s lease for exclusive access for @Carnage2011 and my family to hunt rabbits ( the only living wildlife in MT) in 2025?
Dude, it's only been a day since I requested to be a part of your group and you're already kicking me to the curb. That's it, no more mr. nice guy. My club is going to be way better and way more exclusive than your club. We're going to offer year around hunting opportunities for hares (3 bag limit) but add no bag limits on trophy sized gophers. Your choice of stand hunting or stalking, guided or DIY.

Dude, it's only been a day since I requested to be a part of your group and you're already kicking me to the curb. That's it, no more mr. nice guy. My club is going to be way better and way more exclusive than your club. We're going to offer year around hunting opportunities for hares (3 bag limit) but add no bag limits on trophy sized gophers. Your choice of stand hunting or stalking, guided or DIY.
My friend, our exclusive group of which you (as the only dues paying member so far) are an incredibly vital and important very VIP, is for elk in this upcoming season.

The potential rabbit lease is for 2025 and factors in the inevitable consequences of this year’s management changes.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back