MT bow season for moose or goats?

Ben Long

I just got a survey from FWP asking my opinion about creating an archery season for moose and goats. What do you think? I said I was cool on the idea. I mean, what's the gain? The seasons are already long and the numbers are limtied by the draw, so why create a new carve out for archery hunts? But I am interested in other opinions.

I just got a survey from FWP asking my opinion about creating an archery season for moose and goats. What do you think? I said I was cool on the idea. I mean, what's the gain? The seasons are already long and the numbers are limtied by the draw, so why create a new carve out for archery hunts? But I am interested in other opinions.
Its already there for Bighorn Sheep. I didn't really have an opinion on it one way or another.

I think I like it. I don't know that we need to keep adding the additional days in front of the existing seasons though, why not just make the existing first 12 days of the season archery only?

Maybe, its just my disdain for harassing our elk for 6 months out of the year, thats causing my hesitancy to add season length to other species too.

I'm becoming somewhat of a pessimist, and did not get the survey, but if the idea were to create additional hunting days I am generally opposed to increasing disturbance on the landscape. Our impacts increasingly seem to be as much about disturbance as actual harvest.

Is it necessary? Are Moose and Goat hunters who want to archery hunt having their experiences negatively impacted by rifle hunters in a meaningful way?

Would such a season be a big deal though ? No, though the Trend of More is.

Last edited:
I'd have to see more details. As long as it's not adding additional tags, I don't see a problem with it. I'd be ok with having goat and moose archery seasons that open the first Saturday in September to be consistent with deer, elk, and sheep. Some of the goat seasons already open that weekend though. In that case, I don't think there needs to be a special archery season for those districts. For goat especially, there probably wouldn't be many people that would take advantage of the archery season. If people want to take advantage of the opportunity though, I don't see a problem with giving them an extra week before the snow flies.

Last edited:

Can you tell me if the survey was a single question on the site surveymonkey?

I'm surprised they didn't throw out a August 1st opening day. Might as well shoot for the moon if you're gonna propose more days for archery. Really level the playing field for everyone.

As long as it isn’t extra permits I have no problem with it. Open it September 1st

So they were interested in adding more tags under an "archery only" premise? I say 1000% no to extra tags and seasons. We already have negative population trends we don't need more pressure.

If they were interested in separating the season into archery and general then I'd still say no. FWP already fumbled the ball with "simplification of regs" and more rules and season dates make it worse. The limited number of tags and season structure already allow for archery hunting if you so choose. What's the gain except making it a pain? Some years, on a goat hunt if you were to have to wait for an archery only season to get done you may not be able to access the unit due to snow. This happened to us on Oct 1, 2019 on a goat hunt...nearly a foot of snow hit the ground effectively closing most of the unit unless you were insane. Luckily the snow settled and the hunter found a goat a few weeks later.

Some years, on a goat hunt if you were to have to wait for an archery only season to get done you may not be able to access the unit due to snow. This happened to us on Oct 1, 2019 on a goat hunt...nearly a foot of snow hit the ground effectively closing most of the unit unless you were insane. Luckily the snow settled and the hunter found a goat a few weeks later.
That’s the risk you take hunting anything. Planning hunting seasons around an uncontrollable feature like weather is bound to have issues one way or another.

Hordes of Wyoming bison hunters upset over lack of snowfall the last few years, just how it goes. Plenty of late deer and elk hunts “sucked” because no snow fell. Many of those essentially OIL.

That’s the risk you take hunting anything. Planning hunting seasons around an uncontrollable feature like weather is bound to have issues one way or another.

Hordes of Wyoming bison hunters upset over lack of snowfall the last few years, just how it goes. Plenty of late deer and elk hunts “sucked” because no snow fell. Many of those essentially OIL.
Sure the example I used was the hunter's choice of dates but if an archery season pushes that hunt back that's the issue I'd take with it. There were like 6 tags for that area. It would be stupid to think that hunter "competition" would have impacted an option for an archery hunt if someone chose to do so.

Sure the example I used was the hunter's choice of dates but if an archery season pushes that hunt back that's the issue I'd take with it. There were like 6 tags for that area. It would be stupid to think that hunter "competition" would have impacted an option for an archery hunt if someone chose to do so.
Moose seasons open Sept 15th and about half of the goat seasons open Sept 15th. I haven’t seen the survey so I don’t know what they are proposing, but hopefully they are just proposing a Sept 1-14 archery season. I can’t imagine they would push existing dates back to accommodate an archery season.

Comparing apples to carrots.

Selfishly I would want an archery goat season because demand for that would be low enough that I would draw.

From a resource perspective....I would have to say no. They absolutely will offer more tags because archery, at least goat, would have a much, much lower success rate. I could see a scenario where tag numbers went up 50% or more in areas that were "gifted" an archery goat season. I imagine they would also justify opening in late August or Sept 1, effectively lengthening the seasons.

I'd wager demand would be extremely high if they were to do a separate draw but likely won't happen.
Maybe. I just see this as an FWP attempt to justify more tags given the assumed lack of success of archery equipment

Can you speak to the details? Did it say if it would add additional tags or simply add an earlier start date for archery hunting?

Selfishly I would want an archery goat season because demand for that would be low enough that I would draw.

I'm not knocking you but I m knocking you. This comment is a prime example of the issues that continue to grow.

There's ample opportunity to hunt goats with your bow already. Adding additional archery tags or whatever is a terrible idea and just adds to the whole "opportunity" bullshit deal.

I want to hunt a goat for myself more than any other adventure in the world and even I can't get behind more opportunity in districts for archery hunters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back