Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mt 799-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbig

It only took 9 years to draw, but my ticket is punched. I have bow hunted deer north of highway 212 in the Custer National. We have seen several good bulls in this area.

Does any body have any recommendations or knowledge for the south side of 212?

Good luck to you and congrats !!! However , I think you might have a hard time getting solid info from any one on here in regards to elk or deer in SE montana . Why not just hunt where you have seen the bulls . Are you resident or NR ?

NR - Lived in western MT for years now moved out of state.

As a sportsman I will always trust other sportsmen to support each other. The best hunts I have ever experience didn't involve killing anything. No one is expecting a "gift" on forums like this, only simple information that can be gained here or by calling the game biologist in the area.

The goal of my post is to simply join other sportsmen in conversations that can take place after work and not interrupt production on the job.

Should be a very social hunt. May see a good bull. Might not see an elk but rest assured you will see plenty of orange.

Hem, what's the point of your post? Have you ever seen Randy diss someone for coming on here and asking for help without much "tenure". So many people on this site act like they own the place and like to put the "hall monitor" badge on.

Hey Oldbig.....congrats on the tag. I've been waiting for my turn at it for a while. The only reason why I put in for it is because I kept running into bulls during the rifle season. $500, and I'll give you some gps coordinates on public land where I've seen bulls in November three years running. I've moved out of Montana, so I'll never get that tag again. PM me. Let's get you a bull.

Welcome to hunt talk. The .308 capital of the world........a site owned by Randy Newberg,but ran by 10-12 of the most arrogant people you'll never meet........and lots of the silent majority type who really are the salt of the earth. If you get any advice from antlerradar, listen carefully.

It's a tough first post to be sure.

In general, I would say to look for water sources on/near private ground where there are ag fields. The elk can be a bit scattered around the entire unit (N or S of 212).

My Dad drew the tag this year and I'm hoping we'll be able to get him into some spots that are holding elk. He's 71 now - and at 60 he could out hunt/walk most hunters, but he had a stroke late last year and is using a walker at the present moment. He's busting his butt at rehab and has to relearn to shoot a rifle. I've told him that I'll pack him in and him and an elk out if we need to.

Good luck with your research and your hunt. It is awesome country to spend time in.

It's a tough first post to be sure.

In general, I would say to look for water sources on/near private ground where there are ag fields. The elk can be a bit scattered around the entire unit (N or S of 212).

My Dad drew the tag this year and I'm hoping we'll be able to get him into some spots that are holding elk. He's 71 now - and at 60 he could out hunt/walk most hunters, but he had a stroke late last year and is using a walker at the present moment. He's busting his butt at rehab and has to relearn to shoot a rifle. I've told him that I'll pack him in and him and an elk out if we need to.

Good luck with your research and your hunt. It is awesome country to spend time in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D6GyfNJONk

HSi-ESi I don't know if you have seen this but your situation reminded me of it. Watching it might help motivate you and your father and excite you for the fall!

Stubby, you put too much faith in my advice.
This is my advice. Hunt the archery season as much as you can. Scout as much as you can the week between archery and rifle. Pray you find a big bull and kill him on opening morning before the orange army arrives. I that doesn't work out your chances have dropped off a fair amount. Later in the season hope for snow and look for lone bulls in hard to reach or hunt places. I am not going to say what you should hold out for but if you are worried about tag soup, shoot the first bull you see. If eating this tag will not leave a bitter taste in you mouth go ahead and hold out. I see monster bulls every year, the trick is finding them where you can hunt when you can hunt.

The goal of my post is to simply join other sportsmen in conversations that can take place after work and not interrupt production on the job.

I find it ironic that you're first attempt at obtaining said goal was immediately after drawing said tag rather than providing others with said knowledge of the country north of the highway prior to drawing said tag. However, if you're lucky, Greenhorn will chime in with advice. He's our resident elk guru.

Elk

Antlerradar.....

You know that I know that you know that I know that you know where the elk are. :hump::cool::hump::cool::hump:

I could have killed 5 bulls last year on public land that were over 315".

That was just the morning I shot my cow!!!!!!!

mdunc8........quit being a condecending jerk. What if I said "you are from the East coast so I find it ironic that you feel the need to ever...........ect?"

If you don't want to help the guy, then don't. My Hall-Monitor post was including you. If a guy's first post was about which spotter to buy......or "is a .308 efficient for elk?"....would you reply the same way? It's Randy's site. Let him tell someone they need to help someone before they ask for help themselves. I've only got 1\6th the posts you have.......yet Ive probably helped more people get tags(in Montana) filled than you.......so what's your point for being mean? Judas!!!

Last edited:
Mdunc, what are you referring too?

Seriously, I'd like to know. When have I ever condescendingly told someone I didn't know that they didn't belong?

I don't keep tabs on other people's posting history. However, I'm sure you're a lovely individual based on your willingness to help others and a much better hunter than I if they actually fill their tags whilst I usually head home with pockets of unfilled tags. Regardless, everything you need to know to decipher my apparent riddle is in posts #11&12. Good luck!

Post #10 is all I need.

Good luck on your tags boyz. If you aren't seeing much when the rifle hunt is in full swing, let me know.

I'll be there killing another herd-culling cow. I'll have a few rocks for you to look under that have shown me a bull or few!!!

Elk can be found in just about every corner of this unit. Find the bulls prior to the opener and be ready opening day. My son drew this tag as well, and he is really excited to hunt a bull this year on the Custer. Good luck this season and enjoy your time.

Post #10 is all I need.

Good luck on your tags boyz. If you aren't seeing much when the rifle hunt is in full swing, let me know.

I'll be there killing another herd-culling cow. I'll have a few rocks for you to look under that have shown me a bull or few!!!

Apparently at a cost of 500 bucks...so chastise others for simply being hesitant to help a new guy. Yet in the same breath say I'll tell you where to go since I'll never have that tag again...for a cost. Way to take the high road.

Oldbig, I wish I had something for you. Other than to stick around. We don't always act like childish idiots.

Esracerx,

It was a joke. I was being facetious. He's already reached out to me. I've already given some pointers. I don't need their money.....I was being funny.

Why don't you start clarifying things before you judge people. If you were to make a formula that takes into knowledge of the area (divided by) willingness to help for Free.......then I'm the best advocate for someone asking for help.

I've only spent the last 7 years South of Ashland chasing deer and coyotes.......all the while running into elk, elk, and more elk. I could have shot a bull last fall that went 438". I know because I know who has the sheds.

Ask a Randy, Anterradar, Fatrack, Snowymountaineer, Carl, and Sweetnectar. The real oldies on this site. I'm the best friend someone could have come hunting season so go troll someone else. You think I'd really charge a guy while telling someone else to leave him alone? I got called a "whinner" for posting about my reaction about a tag that's turned into a 1rst choice or nothin tag that didn't used to be.

There's 10 units in the 900 tag that I could go kill a bull elk on in bow or rifle season. Makes so sense to have that many units grouped together then limit the amount of Archery tags for bulls on them.

That 900 tag is so big you can hunt first shooting light on the eastern side of it, get some grub in Hardin.....then get to the western side of it for shooting light all in the same damn morning. Yet let's have OTC rifle hunts for mule deer in pretty much the same areas during their breeding season. I see more and more elk every year between Alzada and Hardin and less and less mule deer in the same spots. So by all means let's just keep doing what we've always done.

PM Randy himself. He doesn't know me very well, but I guarantee you he'd tell you I'm on the "good team".

Judas Priest man, get a life. I'm the only one who's actually offered to help. Everyone else says "you ain't been here long enough to ask for help, Cowboy". Or "elk are where you find them.....look for water, feed, glass high, glass low". No shit!!! Great advice. Who doesn't know that?

Last edited:
Esracerx,

It was a joke. I was being facetious. He's already reached out to me. I've already given some pointers. I don't need their money.....I was being funny.

Why don't you start clarifying things before you judge people. If you were to make a formula that takes into knowledge of the area (divided by) willingness to help for Free.......then I'm the best advocate for someone asking for help.

I've only spent the last 7 years South of Ashland chasing deer and coyotes.......all the while running into elk, elk, and more elk. I could have shot a bull last fall that went 438". I know because I know who has the sheds.

Ask a Randy, Anterradar, Fatrack, Snowymountaineer, Carl, and Sweetnectar. The real oldies on this site. I'm the best friend someone could have come hunting season so go troll someone else. You think I'd really charge a guy while telling someone else to leave him alone? I got called a "whinner" for posting about my reaction about a tag that's turned into a 1rst choice or nothin tag that didn't used to be.

There's 10 units in the 900 tag that I could go kill a bull elk on in bow or rifle season. Makes so sense to have that many units grouped together then limit the amount of Archery tags for bulls on them.

That 900 tag is so big you can hunt first shooting light on the eastern side of it, get some grub in Hardin.....then get to the western side of it for shooting light all in the same damn morning. Yet let's have OTC rifle hunts for mule deer in pretty much the same areas during their breeding season. I see more and more elk every year between Alzada and Hardin and less and less mule deer in the same spots. So by all means let's just keep doing what we've always done.

PM Randy himself. He doesn't know me very well, but I guarantee you he'd tell you I'm on the "good team".

Judas Priest man, get a life. I'm the only one who's actually offered to help. Everyone else says "you ain't been here long enough to ask for help, Cowboy". Or "elk are where you find them.....look for water, feed, glass high, glass low". No shit!!! Great advice. Who doesn't know that?

Sorry bud. Snark and sarcasm are lost in a forum like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back