Mt 417-20

I guess I’ve never understood forums… when guys get so butthurt for asking a generalized question. Just trying to talk hunting. HuntTalk. Ha weird…
The number 1 rule on most forums is to not join immediately after the draw and revive an old thread by asking questions about the unit you drew. That will definitely get a lot of flack regardless of the forum. Introduce yourself, use the search tab, or maybe tell a story of a past hunt. Prove to a lot of people that you're actually going to be a member of the community first.

All too often, people will draw a tag, farm forums for information, and never contribute a dang thing every again. They don't even bother to contact the guys that shared info. I've 100% stopped sharing because of that.

The number 1 rule on most forums is to not join immediately after the draw and revive an old thread by asking questions about the unit you drew. That will definitely get a lot of flack regardless of the forum. Introduce yourself, use the search tab, or maybe tell a story of a past hunt. Prove to a lot of people that you're actually going to be a member of the community first.

All too often, people will draw a tag, farm forums for information, and never contribute a dang thing every again. They don't even bother to contact the guys that shared info. I've 100% stopped sharing because of that.
Can we just pin this message in the “Read First” section along with a giant “Welcome to HT” banner?

My brother has a lot more time than me to hunt and has already passed something like 20 bulls. I feel like we have got a pretty good handle on where to find some elk in 417. If folks who draw the rifle tag in the future want to reach out for some tips, I would be happy to do what I can to help.
Hey Moose can’t send ya a pm, have a scenario to run by ya!

Not sure if @perma shared much but this very broken terrain offers plenty of opportunity to cover many miles on foot, and spend a whole lot of time behind your optics. This is a permit bull district, general cow district with surprisingly low hunting pressure; most bulls are harvested by elite hunters at an older age class with many going Boone & Crockett. Definitely one of MT's best kept secrets that we limit discussions to this private forum.
  • Missouri River is the best access on the north end of the unit, a small canoe access is best for the adventurous elite hunter like yourself.
  • Kjorlein Rd has great access as does Woodhawk Rd. Lots of water sources that don't show up on the maps around there attract the older age class bulls that the weekend warriors won't hike for. Just get some elevation and work the optics.
  • Private land can cause access problems if you don't knock before daylight. 417 is known for friendly landowners but only for the early birds. Apparently it's a tradition out there that some of the locals can explain better than I. Bud Light and cigarettes go a loonnnnng way out there as it's a ways into town for the locals. Bring extra fuel cans too.
  • ATVs could be useful to drive established roads, and anywhere you think no one is looking. Just be careful if it's wet.
  • Don't be afraid to road hunt this unit. Most hunters are just bombing from point A to point B in this unit and leaving the juicy middle untapped. More post-rut mid day bulls and harvested here than almost any unit in MT.
  • Due to the length of the season bulls will typically still be in the secondary rut opening weekend. By the end of season bulls typically are in bachelor groups in isolated pockets throughout the unit, mostly on easily accessible private. Just knock and bring a fair amount of BL and smokes.

Not sure if @perma shared much but this very broken terrain offers plenty of opportunity to cover many miles on foot, and spend a whole lot of time behind your optics. This is a permit bull district, general cow district with surprisingly low hunting pressure; most bulls are harvested by elite hunters at an older age class with many going Boone & Crockett. Definitely one of MT's best kept secrets that we limit discussions to this private forum.
  • Missouri River is the best access on the north end of the unit, a small canoe access is best for the adventurous elite hunter like yourself.
  • Kjorlein Rd has great access as does Woodhawk Rd. Lots of water sources that don't show up on the maps around there attract the older age class bulls that the weekend warriors won't hike for. Just get some elevation and work the optics.
  • Private land can cause access problems if you don't knock before daylight. 417 is known for friendly landowners but only for the early birds. Apparently it's a tradition out there that some of the locals can explain better than I. Bud Light and cigarettes go a loonnnnng way out there as it's a ways into town for the locals. Bring extra fuel cans too.
  • ATVs could be useful to drive established roads, and anywhere you think no one is looking. Just be careful if it's wet.
  • Don't be afraid to road hunt this unit. Most hunters are just bombing from point A to point B in this unit and leaving the juicy middle untapped. More post-rut mid day bulls and harvested here than almost any unit in MT.
  • Due to the length of the season bulls will typically still be in the secondary rut opening weekend. By the end of season bulls typically are in bachelor groups in isolated pockets throughout the unit, mostly on easily accessible private. Just knock and bring a fair amount of BL and smokes.
Damn! Do you have the same level intel on a few general Wyoming areas? It would always be helpful to know where I can get a b&c bull! If you know a local, Im always willing to bang down a farmers door at 4 am with some doughnuts and redbull blaring free bird. Maybe he'll have a daughter over 18 I can talk my wife into bringing home too... if thats not too picky

Damn! Do you have the same level intel on a few general Wyoming areas? It would always be helpful to know where I can get a b&c bull! If you know a local, Im always willing to bang down a farmers door at 4 am with some doughnuts and redbull blaring free bird. Maybe he'll have a daughter over 18 I can talk my wife into bringing home too... if thats not too picky
Just rip a bugle on every knob you can get to with your ATV, you’ll end up with one or the other.
Try the Hoochie Mama - it's guaranteed to work

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back