Mt 417-20

My buddy and I are headed out to Montana for General Deer during the last week of the season. We were primarily going to focus our efforts in Unit 410, but we recently came across the Region 4 Cow Elk tag that is available. Obviously it would be nice to have an elk tag in our pockets and have the opportunity to bring home more meat. This shifted our focus to Unit 417 as a potential option since we would be unable to use the cow elk tag in 410. Are there opportunities outside of 410 for both mule deer and cow elk or should we just focus on our original plan of hunting mulies in 410 and pass on the elk tag?

My buddy and I are headed out to Montana for General Deer during the last week of the season. We were primarily going to focus our efforts in Unit 410, but we recently came across the Region 4 Cow Elk tag that is available. Obviously it would be nice to have an elk tag in our pockets and have the opportunity to bring home more meat. This shifted our focus to Unit 417 as a potential option since we would be unable to use the cow elk tag in 410. Are there opportunities outside of 410 for both mule deer and cow elk or should we just focus on our original plan of hunting mulies in 410 and pass on the elk tag?
417 has been over run with hunters since the 004 cow tag has become available, now it’s unlimited otc , so will probably be even more folks out , plus it’s dryer than sh’t and the unit is pretty much a ghost town for the second year in a row . Unless you’d like grasshoppers . There’s about 3,000 elk in the unit . But their all on the horse ranch so good luck ! So my long winded answer would be go deer hunting - or elk , just not here

417 has been over run with hunters since the 004 cow tag has become available, now it’s unlimited otc , so will probably be even more folks out , plus it’s dryer than sh’t and the unit is pretty much a ghost town for the second year in a row . Unless you’d like grasshoppers . There’s about 3,000 elk in the unit . But their all on the horse ranch so good luck ! So my long winded answer would be go deer hunting - or elk , just not here
Thank you for the information. Any other units that we could maybe focus on for elk if we were to tag out on Mule Deer?

Not to be rude but asking those types of questions will get you a lot of heat on forums.
That seems to be pretty common in today's world...I work a full time job and only have a week to get out west and hunt. I am basically asking if it is worth the money to buy the OTC Cow Elk tag for Region 4 or if this is just a gimmick. Sorry if I have upset anyone with my general question.

That seems to be pretty common in today's world...I work a full time job and only have a week to get out west and hunt. I am basically asking if it is worth the money to buy the OTC Cow Elk tag for Region 4 or if this is just a gimmick. Sorry if I have upset anyone with my general question.
I'd say focus on deer and have a great time this year. If you're seeing a few elk, then consider it next year or in the future, but I just don't see there being a lot of value in trying to get both in a one week stretch, as I think you'd end up spending the money, but not coming home with the venison, but that's just my opinion. You can't shoot one if you don't have the tag and go for a walk, so if you're okay with having the tag firmly in your pocket on the drive home, than buy one and see what happens.

If you're seeing cows, you can always stop into anywhere that sells licenses and pick up an OTC b tag. Or go to WSS and maybe get the chance to participate in a flock shoot.

You are going the last week of the season and those animals will have been chased by hunters every day for basically 3 months. Any elk with sense in the unit will be holed up on private or public land that is unreachable.
I would focus on deer if you only have one week to hunt personally. Especially if this is your first trip to the area and you are going in green. A friend of mine several years ago had the same line of thinking and didn't lay eyes on one cow in 417 in a week of hunting and covering miles and neither did I. And that was the second week of rifle just FYI.

I say this - go for deer - if u fill out and still want to hunt , or if you see some cow elk , drive to Lewistown and buy the tag . I’m guessing you will have a tough time finding elk , if you do it’ll most likely be bulls

Hope you’re ready to lace those boots up and burn some leather. Doesn’t look to be shaping up to be a banner year for deer.

I really appreciate all of the help everyone! My buddy has been to the area we were going to hunt in years past. I of course complicated things by informing him of the OTC Elk Tags and now we are looking at switching areas.

I think we will just focus on the deer for now and enjoy our time in Montana. I was pretty pumped for the hunt, but now feeling a little more anxious lol Has it really been that down for deer numbers?

I really appreciate all of the help everyone! My buddy has been to the area we were going to hunt in years past. I of course complicated things by informing him of the OTC Elk Tags and now we are looking at switching areas.

I think we will just focus on the deer for now and enjoy our time in Montana. I was pretty pumped for the hunt, but now feeling a little more anxious lol Has it really been that down for deer numbers?
Send me a message when ya hit 10 post and can send a pm.

Numbers have been on decline especially on public land and the drought makes it worse most feed/water is on private so guess where they head. But enjoy your hunt Montana is a great place .

Hunted elk for 10 of the last 14 days in 417, the only place we saw elk was private land, good luck I would choose another unit to hunt elk.

I'll jump on this thread and just put it out to the world that I held the rifle tag in 417 in 2022. I'll spare the details to anyone with a google search, but if you would like to reach out to me, I'd be happy to help out a fellow hunter with my observations. Perhaps an odd first post here, but I have been pretty active on another forum.

I'll jump on this thread and just put it out to the world that I held the rifle tag in 417 in 2022. I'll spare the details to anyone with a google search, but if you would like to reach out to me, I'd be happy to help out a fellow hunter with my observations. Perhaps an odd first post here, but I have been pretty active on another forum.
Did a bull take a joy ride back home with you? Let us hear the story

Did a bull take a joy ride back home with you? Let us hear the story
I tried to be a bit illusive in my post to protect my embarrassment, but unfortunately no. No elk were harmed in the making of my adventure to 417. There were a few around, but they were pretty savvy, and ultimately I never connected with what I was looking for.

I tried to be a bit illusive in my post to protect my embarrassment, but unfortunately no. No elk were harmed in the making of my adventure to 417. There were a few around, but they were pretty savvy, and ultimately I never connected with what I was looking for.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Did you end up finding them on public or private?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back