Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mt 417-20

I hunted Public and BMAs. There were a few elk on each. I assume there was a grip of elk somewhere else...

If anyone knows much about this unit and was willing to PM I'd really appreciate it. I'm interested in burning my points this year so I can start taking advantage of some of the archery hunts in Montana. I'd pe happy with an opportunity at a mature elk, not looking to break any records. Curious if anyone has had this tag recently or knows much about the area.

If anyone knows much about this unit and was willing to PM I'd really appreciate it. I'm interested in burning my points this year so I can start taking advantage of some of the archery hunts in Montana. I'd pe happy with an opportunity at a mature elk, not looking to break any records. Curious if anyone has had this tag recently or knows much about the area.
Lots of people very few accessible elk .

That sounds like all my spots 😂
I’ve hunted this unit for deer and elk many years and it’s gotten tougher to find elk every year . Many reasons . The drought the last 2 years definitely had a negative affect . But there’s a huge ranch in the middle of 417 that has abundant food and water and lets 0 hunting basically . And the elk know it . I can confidently say I think there’s better general units if you just want to shoot an elk . The numbers of accessible elk here just aren’t worth burning a ton of points on in my opinion. There’s a reason it’s the easiest draw of the breaks units

I used to hang around this area quite a bit and used to see elk but was never able to draw the tag before they doubled the bull permits. I put in elsewhere these days

Blessed with a 417-20 bull permit.
I have hunted the breaks for the last 15 years but never in 417.
Anyone that lives out there or has held this tag willing to help out with a few questions?
1) Water - I'm assuming it is very scarce and I will need to pack all I need. ??
2) Gas - Where is the nearest 24 hour cc fuel pump if I planned on hunting the northern portion? Any small hotels that will sell a shower?
3) Quality - hunting fool lists the upper end at 320-340. Will hunt a week archery, first week rifle and last 10 days of rifle. What are your thoughts?
4) Nearest burger and beer?

Thank you for any help!

PM's are great if you prefer.
How did your hunt go man?

My brother has a lot more time than me to hunt and has already passed something like 20 bulls. I feel like we have got a pretty good handle on where to find some elk in 417. If folks who draw the rifle tag in the future want to reach out for some tips, I would be happy to do what I can to help.
Hey moose would love to hear your experience in this unit more! Could email text or pm!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back