Mt.339 elk tag

MT.PERCHMAN

Well the paperwork is in ...just a quick note for any lucky hunter that.draws a 339 Elk tag.
I have had the wonderful chance twice.now to hunt this very tough area.
I ate the tag the first time ...just tooo much presure.from friends to shoot the ( 400" ) bull and not to waste the tag on a small bull. Boy was I dumb for passing up nice bulls in archery season that year.😢😢😢
Well next season I was so depressed I didnt score I wasnt going to put in at all...
well thanks to my fellow.workers I put in again the last day...and drew it again !!
After loosing 27 pds the year before looking for the one.. I had a better idea to make the hunt one of the best if ever had . As season was coming to the end I found two bulls heading up for a morning nap. I sat next to a small pine and waited for them to get up.
well 3 1/2 hrs. later they jump up and the small one.gives me.a perfect broad side shot at 437 yrds. I wasted no time shooting . One shot and it was over ...I was so happy that my tag was going to be used !!!! It is a 6 pt. About 300 class...it didnt matter to me what the score was I was so glad I didnt have to have tag soup again .
If anybody draws this tag ..PLEASE SEND ME.A PM..I would like to give you all the help i can.
That country is brutal ..just maybe with some luck and hard work you can live the dream with a big bull elk .!!!!

MT.PERCHMAN

sounds like a great area do you know much about the elk in archery season strait north of canyon fairy lake in 392 and 446

bow i havent even shot my 7 mag in 5 years but im looking between confederate gulch and duck creek mainly at boulder mountain

I too had that brutal tag a couple of years ago. I would be happy to share information with anyone as well. I settled for a small 6-pt myself, and then the very next day was part of an awesome hunt with a guy I met up there while hunting. He shot a tanker bull and was most deserving of such.

The most important thing about that unit is managing your expectations. Hint...there isn't a 380" bull on every ridge top (but there are some quality bulls in that unit).

Good luck to all!

As I look back at the two hunts in 339 I realize that just because you draw a great tag doesnt mean your going to land the monster bull of your dreams. I guess im thinking that the special tags are more like a CURSE than a easy button. It drives you crazy thinking about the 400"bull or the 200" buck that you think you need to take.
When in all truth any critter now taken is a trophy !!!
Well if anybody draws and could use some info give me a shout .
Good luck on your draws everybody .

MT.PERCHMAN

As I look back at the two hunts in 339 I realize that just because you draw a great tag doesnt mean your going to land the monster bull of your dreams. I guess im thinking that the special tags are more like a CURSE than a easy button. It drives you crazy thinking about the 400"bull or the 200" buck that you think you need to take.
When in all truth any critter now taken is a trophy !!

MT.PERCHMAN

I feel those same sentiments. After drawing a breaks rifle tag I put a lot of pressure on myself. I have never hunted for a trophy--- only about filling the freezer. After a few days of passing up small bulls, I told myself enough and shot what most consider a dink, but still my best bull, and biggest bodied elk I ever shot. No tag soup... and he has tasted great this year!

You need to set a realistic expectation of the animal you want in relation to what the unit regularly produces. I've had a special tag in hand and passed bulls no sane man would ever consider letting go. Study the unit, talk to other hunters. Hope I get cursed with a sheep tag this year. mtmuley

Well I know who I will send a note to if I am lucky enough to draw 339...so happy MT does the Native Non-Res program. Super fortunate that I get to come home to hunt in an affordable manner...fingers crossed every year at this time...draw or not the hopeful feeling is awesome!

Good luck!

Well the paperwork is in ...just a quick note for any lucky hunter that.draws a 339 Elk tag.
I have had the wonderful chance twice.now to hunt this very tough area.
I ate the tag the first time ...just tooo much presure.from friends to shoot the ( 400" ) bull and not to waste the tag on a small bull. Boy was I dumb for passing up nice bulls in archery season that year.😢😢😢
Well next season I was so depressed I didnt score I wasnt going to put in at all...
well thanks to my fellow.workers I put in again the last day...and drew it again !!
After loosing 27 pds the year before looking for the one.. I had a better idea to make the hunt one of the best if ever had . As season was coming to the end I found two bulls heading up for a morning nap. I sat next to a small pine and waited for them to get up.
well 3 1/2 hrs. later they jump up and the small one.gives me.a perfect broad side shot at 437 yrds. I wasted no time shooting . One shot and it was over ...I was so happy that my tag was going to be used !!!! It is a 6 pt. About 300 class...it didnt matter to me what the score was I was so glad I didnt have to have tag soup again .
If anybody draws this tag ..PLEASE SEND ME.A PM..I would like to give you all the help i can.
That country is brutal ..just maybe with some luck and hard work you can live the dream with a big bull elk .!!!!

MT.PERCHMAN

I too had that brutal tag a couple of years ago. I would be happy to share information with anyone as well. I settled for a small 6-pt myself, and then the very next day was part of an awesome hunt with a guy I met up there while hunting. He shot a tanker bull and was most deserving of such.

The most important thing about that unit is managing your expectations. Hint...there isn't a 380" bull on every ridge top (but there are some quality bulls in that unit).

Good luck to all!
I have the 339 tag right now and would appreciate any help!

When in all truth any critter now taken is a trophy !!!

MT.PERCHMAN
I'm struggling with this tag right now any help would be great!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back