Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

mrna and cwd?

Dougfirtree

This may sound like a stupid question, but I was just reading something about all the potential diseases that may be preventable with mrna vaccines and how the COVID vaccine research has launched us forward in terms of data and research, setting us up for something of a vaccine revolution.
Has anyone ever heard a reputable theory that CWD could be attacked in this way? I know there's been research into a vaccine for CWD... Just curious and I know there are some smart, plugged-in folks on here.

Vaccines that change your DNA, even though I'm no scientist, makes me leary. Personally waiting to see how this covid one plays out over time.
A3C74291-6736-4E21-8387-034050047834.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
CWD isn't caused by a virus. Its caused by a prion. Very different worlds.
True, but I'm not sure that the potential uses of mrna type vaccines are limited to viruses. Seems like it could potentially be used to combat almost anything capable of creating an immune response. I'm not sure whether deer have any immune response to CWD-causing prions, though.

From my minuscule knowledge, CWD and Alzheimer’s are similar in that prions cause essential proteins to denature. This is why it’s difficult to put a thumb on either.

True, but I'm not sure that the potential uses of mrna type vaccines are limited to viruses. Seems like it could potentially be used to combat almost anything capable of creating an immune response. I'm not sure whether deer have any immune response to CWD-causing prions, though.
They don't. The prions literally change the way that other proteins in the brain unfold. The biology is way way way different from viral or bacterial infections.

View attachment 183297

Worded incorrectly, as stated, not a scientist. Listening to my med school kid gets over my head. Regardless it's an entirely new way to vaccinate and I'll prefer to wait it out. Yeah it was a crappy sickness but not that crappy.

Worded incorrectly, as stated, not a scientist. Listening to my med school kid gets over my head. Regardless it's an entirely new way to vaccinate and I'll prefer to wait it out. Yeah it was a crappy sickness but not that crappy.
A traditional vaccine works by injecting a dead or weakened virus into your body. Your body fights that off and then stores the information about how to fight that virus.

An mRNA vaccine works by injecting mRNA for a spike protein into your body. The mRNA will enter muscle cells at the site and some of them will create the spike protein. Your body then destroys these cells, and retains the information to destroy other spike proteins. Essentially you are never at risk of getting sick from the vaccine because it's just teaching your body what to look for to destroy rather than providing the actual pathogen.

The mRNA does not enter the nucleus of the cell where your DNA is located.

@Dougfirtree I think the antibody therapy some people who had Covid-19 received are more in line with what a treatment for CWD would be like rather than the mRNA vaccines.

They don't. The prions literally change the way that other proteins in the brain unfold. The biology is way way way different from viral or bacterial infections.
This ^ is my guess. I am not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think the body forms an immune response to CWD. I think it kind of destroys the brain and nervous cell tissues through the broken proteins. That is why perfectly normal looking deer can test positive if they are early in their exposure.

Ask your kid how transcription and translation works.

This ^ is my guess. I am not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think the body forms an immune response to CWD. I think it kind of destroys the brain and nervous cell tissues through the broken proteins. That is why perfectly normal looking deer can test positive if they are early in their exposure.
I'm also not sure how you would get an antibody through the blood brain barrier.

correct, however possibilities of a virus causing the formation of a prion

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back