MR Metcalf Review

Here are some additional pictures of the pack to show more detail. I've had the pack for a couple of weeks now. I've only had the chance to load it up and try it on a couple of short hikes around the neighborhood and on the treadmill. I like the extended frame! Pack has been very comfortable with ~50 lbs loaded into it.

Looking down into pack...
MR%2520Metcalf%2520Pics%2520003.JPG

Collar extended up...
MR%2520Metcalf%2520Pics%2520006.JPG

Internal pocket; zipper can be undone from the top or the side. This view is from the side zipper...
MR%2520Metcalf%2520Pics%2520010.JPG

Bladder pocket/pouch inside of pack...
MR%2520Metcalf%2520Pics%2520012.JPG

It is a pretty bare bones pack, but I can see this being my goto 1-7 day pack. A couple of times this year I would have carried it on day trips when packing extra gear during my wife's hunt and when bringing kid(s) with me.

It really shrinks down nice for when not fully loaded.

Ron

I went to look at them, got the run down and walked out with one. :D That was easy:hump:

I already have a Crew Cab w/ NICE frame with lids.

May be a stupid question . . . but . . . can you just buy the bag and put the bag onto a NICE frame?

Thanks.

You bet - just specify 'I already have a nice frame' when you order.

That is one of the benefits of the NICE frame system, you can have multiple packs w/out having to purchase multiple frames.

Finally got to take my Metcalf for a test run. Took my son out for a short over nighter in central AZ. It was his first time backpacking. I had about 50 lbs going and a couple of less pounds coming home. Pack rode very well and was very comfortable. My first impressions is this will work out well for me!

I'm planning on doing at least one pack in hunt this year, so I want to get a few trips in before fall to get my gear dialed in.

Only thing my son carried was a sweatshirt, some snacks, and some water. I carried everything else for him, including his sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and food. We had a great trip and it was a lot of fun for both of us!

The only thing I'd change about the Metcalf is to put this inside pocket on the outside of the pack.

MR%2520Metcalf%2520Pics%2520010.JPG

When fully loaded down it didn't really make sense to have this small 'organizational' pocket on the inside. I'd rather have it on the outside where I could access it easier and not have to unload half my load to access it.

Otherwise, the Metcalf swallowed all of the stuff we brought and was very comfortable. While the load was a bit heavy for a 2 day backpacking only trip, the weight was on par for what I'd be carrying for a pack in hunt for ~4 days.

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520001.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520052.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520041.JPG

Deer%2520Creek%2520Trail%2520Hike%2520021.JPG

We had a great trip and I can't wait to get out again!

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

If a bear gets in my way over the coming month, I will have some feedback on how the new Metcalf works on a Montana black bear. If no Montana bear cooperates, I guess we will have to break it in on an Alaska black bear.

Thanks Ron for the review and update. After seeing what you have loaded on that pack I still think I'm leaning toward the 6500 even with the added weight. I'm just a big fan of having the majority of my stuff protected in a bag rather than attached on the outside.

I have been playing with mine a bit now over the spring bear season. It is awesome. I had Paul over at FHFgear.com make me a lighter lid for it. One that reverses to blaze orange. shaved almost a pound off the weight. Which is a lot lighter than the CC. The stays are what I dig the most, load lifters are 3" higher. Making it much more comfortable with heavier loads.
I am glad I switched.

The one weakness that I have discovered with the Metcalf is the the extended shoulder lift you get with the frame extension is negated when the load shelf is used. I want to MR to come out with a frame extension and bags that slip over the top of that. Problem solved with the shoulder lift complaint.

All that said, I really like the Metcalf. I have 12 miles under normal weight with it so far and really like it. The side zip helps with a lot of things when it comes to placement inside the bag, especially the awkward stuff.

I just got back from a 20 mile round trip in the Beartooths. It was only a 3 day trip, so I was not very heavy. Plenty of room and since GuNR hauled the beer, I didn't need the lid on this trip. Hopefully a couple more summer trips with the set up before heavy meat loads this fall. A fan so far, now what to do with my Longbow?

Maybe I'm just missing it, but their site says 3600 to 4500 right? Then one you employ the meat shelf (between the frame and bag) you gain a lot more?

Finally saved enough to order one last night. Quite bummed to find out that they are sold out and won't be shipping any for 2-3 weeks. Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks in ol MT bow season to experience its badassedness. Crap

Packed out a spike elk in Utah on opening weekeng and was very, VERY happy with my new Metcalf bag. Big imorovement over the Crew Cab.

Back