Moving to montana or idaho!

Lewiston Idaho
Salmon idaho
Lewistown Mt
Those are a few on my list. Salmon is my favorite but might not have a good enough whitetail population especially on public.

I lived in Lewistown, MT for 6 years and then moved to Dillon, MT. Some say that both are high on their list of places to live but there isn't a day that I don't miss Lewistown, its people, and the bird hunting of Central Montana.

You know where the best place is, but please, don't print it! Lewiston Idaho is the cancer center of the west. Polluted river full of dioxins, and air so foul you can't breath. Orofino is worse, all of Lewiston comes here and shits all over the place on weekends. The weather is terrible, hot and cold and the wind never stops blowing. If you are looking for the outdoors, the Clearwater Country is not where you want to be. Just sayin.

Looking at pictures of Mr. Sinclair's trophies and thinking that's a representation of the animals you'll kill if you move to Montana, is a kin to picking up Playboy and assuming that's the quality of Women you'll get if you move to California.

As someone who grew up in Lewiston, ID and now lives in Moscow I would pick Montana over this part of Idaho. The Clearwater region has no where near the hunting it used to or could have. The panhandle has way better potential IMO; I really like the Coeur d' Alene area; more people for sure but much better hunting I think. Eastern Idaho (Idaho falls or Pocatello area) has some good hunting and great fishing; not as much whitetail opportunity, but I would trade good elk and mule deer for whitetails any day. If I was relocating completely though I think Montana would be my choice.

Looking at pictures of Mr. Sinclair's trophies and thinking that's a representation of the animals you'll kill if you move to Montana, is a kin to picking up Playboy and assuming that's the quality of Women you'll get if you move to California.

Wait . . . what? So I should cancel my tickets to L.A.? :mad: :D

Randy, I have lived in Cali, and "all" the women look like that!!! lol.

In all seriousness, have you considered Wyoming? Many amazing walleye fisheries. Good places to hunt whitetail in much of the eastern part of the state. Good tax situation. I have lived there, I hunt around glasgow every year and I live in northern Minnesota currently. When my life allows it I will move back west and Wyoming is definitely on my short list.

I still believe that you should Live where you want to live , work where you want to work So you can Hunt where you want to hunt.

I made the choice to build a career that gives me 4 weeks of paid vacation a year while living close to family. Work is a 10 mile commute while dropping kids off at school along the way.

These are things I deal with daily rather than Weekends or hunting seasons.

Driving 4 hours for recreation opportunities on a Friday night gives you a lot of leeway in living where there are more creature comforts. Especially when considering a place that is snowy and you have a baby due in winter.

Check out citydata.com for where you have lived before and try to find similar stats in your new location. Not guaranteed to always be perfect but it can help weed out places that don't meet your standards for crime, poverty, religion, weather, etc.

It's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to take a week of vacation and go hunt wherever you want than to move 2/3 of the way across the country to the middle of nowhere if your primary consideration is shooting a deer.

My wife and I fully intend to live in either Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana some day. However, this will probably happen after retirement, and assuming that we are still up for it when we get there. We will also probably be living near a population center. We also have jobs that are in demand in most areas of the country, hers being a math/science teacher and mine being a licensed water/wastewater treatment operator, with a degree in environmental engineering/regulation (both transferable from Ohio to any of these states). I have had several people tell me, who are either from there or have lived out there, to be sure to consider the employment situation. But sometimes you just have to take a chance if you know you will be happier somewhere else. I gave up a $160,000/year job after three years of traveling all over God's earth to be closer to my family and my fiance (now wife of 8 years). I don't regret one day of it.

I think you should go for it.Ive been on the fence for a lot of years now in moving west.My career is winding down and kids getting older so decision may finally come soon.Look into Forsyth,mt that's a real nice small town with great fishing,whitetail and muleys,elk and very good small game.If I thought I could run my business there Id already be there.I think that town has everything your looking for and Billings is like half hour away for your wifes work.
now if you move there,you have to agree to take me out hunting with you.And surprisingly, you could get access onto private land there without paying
I say go for it and be happy!!!!!!

speed limits 80mph anyway.Im sure I could get there in half hour 40 minutes.Dont worry, his small family wont hurt your population there.I love listening to guys from mt always trying to push people away.Concentrate your scare tactics on the Cali people instead of fellow hunters

Thank you for everyone who has tried to help out, never thought I would get this many replies. I got alot of looking to do and I think maybe a couple week long vacation for me and my wife driving from spot to spot is in order.

No, mixedbag, I agree Forsyth would be a great place to live and serve as a center for outdoor activities.
The travel time comment was only to provide more accurate, realistic information. The Montana map shows Billings to Forsyth as ninety-three (93) miles on the Interstate highway. You may be able to speed there in 40 minutes one time, but sooner or later your racing skills will be recognized by MHP with a citation or perhaps by a newsworthy accident report or obituary.

Back