Mounting scope to rifle?

mummel

When you buy say a vortex scope and I want to connect it to a new tikka t3x, do I need any other components to do this? Or does the scope come with all required accessories? Thanks.

I use the Warne on one of my Tikka's and it works great. As mentioned above, it has the recoil pin and it is made of steel. Has held zero very well. I've also used the DNZ Game Reaper (machined aluminum one piece base / lower rings) on one of my Tikka's and had good luck with it as well. The factory Tikka rings have also worked fine. No issues with them either.

I like the Talley lightweight rings for simplicity reasons but there are many that will work. Make sure you get the size compatible with your scope (1" or 30mm).

Nothing simpler than DNZ. Might be something to consider if you're new to the game.

I'm tired of relying on a receiver and/or the screw holes being true, which is to say, they're usually not. I also think lapping rings is a joke, you're treating symptoms, not the cause.

For me, in order to be satisfied that talley's were installed straight and true, I'd go through this goat rope of bedding the rings:

Apply release agent to ring bases, receiver and screws
Apply JB weld to ring base bottoms
Install ring bases, start screws, not snug
Install scope in rings, snug up cap pieces (or use alignment bars, but I'm cheap and just use the scope)
Clamp scope and rings gently to receiver with surgical tubing.
Clean all excess JB Weld, using most of wife's Q tips
Let dry 24 hours
Remove scope and tighten base screws
Reinstall scope and torque cap screws
Go zero in

With Warnes, in an integral rail receiver like a Tikka:

Install rings and scope, torque screws
Go zero in

Got gits and shiggles, with Warnes in a M700 receiver:

Apply release agent to rail, screws and receiver
Apply JB weld to rail
Start screws
Clamp rail gently to receiver
Clean all excess JB Weld, using most of wife's Q tips
Let dry 24 hours
Tighten screws
Install rings and scope, torque screws
Go Zero in

Still a lot less of a pain in the ass..

You lost me at JB weld rancho.

I've had zilch issues with torquing, spear point alignment check, and/or lapping if necessary..but out of curiosity, what warne components would you select for a LA 700 for a VX5 3x15x44 (30MM tube) for an unbraked 300 RUM?

No issue, it is simply methodology for a problem I've never had.

Never mind the query...I'll figure it out.

JB Weld gets a hillbilly rap (and I've used it for some pretty hillbilly engineering) but it's actually pretty good stuff.

As for your ring needs, for a RUM I'd go with some Badgers and a costco bottle of advil.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back