mounting and elk skull to a plaque

Bambistew

I've never put an elk skull on a plaque before, and am wondering how its done. Would I have to fill the brain cavity with bondo to secure a 'stud' in the skull, then use that to attach it to the plaque? the rack weighs about 40lbs, so a couple drywall screws probalby aren't going to cut it...

Any thoughts?

I drill a hole up into the brain cavity from the bottom of the skull. Then fish a carriage bolt through the hole in the back of the skull. I don't over tighten the bolt to the plaque. I'm not saying it is the best, but I haven't had one fall off the wall yet:rolleyes:
december2010107.jpg

I've done it the way elkdiesel said and it works but is hard to maneuver the bolt around. Another way is to get an eye-bolt that is bigger than the hole at the back of the skull, cut vertical notches so it fits inside, then turn it sideways and tighten it to the plaque.

If you'll drill where ED suggested you'll have a pretty good anchor point. If you're putting it on a plaque I'd suggest the deck screws you can get at Lowes or HD. They are really pretty strong. I'd use two, the second just towards the nose from the spot shown above. Should be good to go. Post it up when you get it on the wall!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back