Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mountain Home check station PICTURES!

Dude....thats awesome,Thanks for sharing the pic's.Im still chuckling at the moose in a subaru
Daniel

And I thought ALL the deer in Idaho were gone...

Ron, thanx for posting the Pics and spending time with F&G. I was gonig to do that this year and Blew it off. I won't next time. I don't like hunting opening weekend anyways.

Cool pictures. Did anyone mind you taking a Picture of them ? Did you tell them you were going to post it on HuntTalk.com ? Come on now, At least lie and say you did !! ;)

Great picture's Ron.
That sucks that there are that many cub's left to fend for thereself.
We watched a sow and two cub's during archery season ,it was too cute.
I think the bear lady you are talking about works for animals in destress?
We just dropped off some scrap meat for her that was left after we butchered a moose .
I hope to be comming through that check station this week-end if all goes right and I get to hunt.

Are you there again?

Score one for the fat asssed ATV riders look like they took the nicest buck hmmmmmmmm......lol. I doubt dogs are the problem I would say it lays in the hands of the hunters that are harvesting the wet sows.

I would question his authority about the hounds "busting them up"......honestly I catch several sows w/cubs every yr, they usually climb pretty quick after being jumped...I have lots of video with cubs and sows in same tree, or the cubs are in a nearby tree..... personaly I think his statement is crap and would call him on it as to this is this "theory" not anything factual thats been found based through study.....I believe it was oregon that did a study on the effects of hounds and bear, maybe you need to tell him to read what they found. As a houndsman we don't need anybody wearing a uniform giving out bogus info, it gives us a black eye. I would'nt mind knowing who the guy was and how he comes about with his ideas. As far as the "guy who checks in the bears"....well if hes anything like the lady at the nampa office that tags them, she don't know squat about the use of dogs and what transpires neither. I would like to know the guys name, maybe a contact # so I could ask him exactly how he comes up with his "theorys".

Gato,I was thinking along the same line.
My first thought was that it might be more like people shooting before they know if the sow has cub's around.
I would think using dogs would make it easer to tell????
The sow and cubs we got to watch ,all I saw at first was a big bear,Steve saw the cubs in the tree after about we thought about getting a shot.
We were bow hunting so we needed to get close or call it in, it really made me stop to think about hunting with my rifle and would I have shot it before I had time to really look for cub's?
I know after that I will think hard and look even more if I get the chance to shoot a bear.

Some of the rehab people lean a bit toward non hunting,but most of the one's I have talkied with are pretty nice, but uninformed about hunting.
When we called to drop off meat one lady said "you dont shoot bears ,do you ? Oh never mind I dont want to know " LOL

Well MD4M, this kinda thing just strikes a nerve with me, I hope ron has some names and contact #s as I would like to talk to the "bear checker in guy" and possibly a supervisor and gain some info. I would like Rons last name also so I can use him as to a referance for what was being said so I don't look like a dumbchit when I say ummmm some guy named Idaho Ron on the internet is saying you said this you said that crap he will know exactly who I am talking about. We don't need sportsman giving other sportsman a black eye, thats not how things work.

The "Bear Lady" that you are referring to is probably Sally Maughan, of Idaho Black Bear Rehab, Inc.

You can read more about her operation at Bear Rehab

Idaho Ron could Introduce you...

I've seen it before.

"Hi Gunner, this is WallyDog, Ithicas friend I mean... Uhhhhh Crap, What's your name ?!?!? " :D

there was a Study in "Uhhh BAck east" (I'll try to find it). that shut down dogs and the #'s went up like 640% of the mothers getting shot and leaving cubs behind because people would shoot before looking because it's a Quick shot usually.

Those ARE some nice Bucks above though !! Thanx for posting then Ron !!!

I agree with Gato , I tree several sows with cubs a year and even if split up they get together very quickly as shown by trail cam pictures if they are that far away mamma is gone for good and I would say 99% of the time not becouse of dogs ( if not 100% ). Now if you are just out or on a stand , if you give a bear about five minutes if thier are cubs they should show up or mamma will be looking for them .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back