MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mountain Bowhunting After 50

Foolishly was in a steep rocky ravine with a heavy backpack on and a rock slipped out from under my right foot, which folded back to my left butt cheek, and the pack drove my right knee into the rocks and severed the tendon. My wife splinted me up (with what the EMT's said was the best backcountry splint they had seen) and climbed up to a ridge where she received a cell phone call from a friend who was going to meet us to take us back to trailhead. She called 911 and the sheriff deputy coached her on bringing up ONX on my phone so they got our coordinates. Two Bear Air out of Kalispell was there in about an hour to hoist us out to a waiting ambulance. Two Bear Air has this razzoo Bell 429 four bladed, twin engine helicopter with hoist and infrared capability. The pilot and crew were impressively professional and competent. We were extremely lucky they were on the ramp in Kalispell and ready to come get me. A Lewis & Clark County search and rescue team was dispatched, but the mountain was so steep they would have had a challenge dragging me down ... probably would have just sent me sledding down to the Missouri River, hoping I could tread water. :D
View attachment 195393
I got 2-bear in my contacts never had call them. That's quite the story. As I age it's what I worry about, glad it turned out well

I got 2-bear in my contacts never had call them. That's quite the story. As I age it's what I worry about, glad it turned out well
As a two-tour Vietnam Huey pilot and twenty-year Army Master Aviator, having flown a few medevac missions myself, I feel qualified to say that Two Bear Air is the best of the best at search and rescue. It was especially personal to me when the EMT crew member who hoisted me out told me his dad is a retired Vietnam Army helicopter pilot. It was like a small-world comrade / family connection ... all the way up a wonderful hoist cable. I had flown some hoist missions before ... but not on that end of the line!

for those that don’t know, Two Bear is privately funded by a guy named Mike Goguen. The equipment on the helicopter is unbelievable.

The day following my airlift I called Two Bear and highly praised the crew and the rescue, then speculated out loud that it'd likely cost me an arm and a leg! "Nope; it's all taken care of." was the response. Mike Goguen pays for the aircraft, equipment, maintenance, fuel, training, wages, and everything. What a public service for western Montana, Idaho, and eastern Washington! Goguen qualifies for sainthood, IMO.

My Dad just turned 79 and I never realized 2015 might have been our last elk hunt together in the backcountry. He has told me his Big Game excursions are gonna be guided from now on. On the Coast Blacktail drive hunts, he's on a stand now the last couple years. But he'll still ride anywhere his horse can go...

This Summer
240774627_10226106707922895_1599932605130851577_n.jpg

240705222_10226106707482884_4692898588400712255_n.jpg

477526_4503845402906_608800095_o.jpg

dad's 2015 elk at 10,200 ft.
12020000_10207696857008128_8701745611920427005_n.jpg

The day following my airlift I called Two Bear and highly praised the crew and the rescue, then speculated out loud that it'd likely cost me an arm and a leg! "Nope; it's all taken care of." was the response. Mike Goguen pays for the aircraft, equipment, maintenance, fuel, training, wages, and everything. What a public service for western Montana, Idaho, and eastern Washington! Goguen qualifies for sainthood, IMO.
That is awesome. We have a public funded service here in New Zealand that offers free backcountry chopper rescue for anyone. Just set off your beacon and they’ll pick you up. Nice peace of mind.

Here I am thinking 47 is kind of up there to start elk hunting. I’ve always wanted to hunt western game…but work and raising a family came first. I’m thinking now it’s very doable. Just need to train hard be prepared and go for it!

I'm 60 and solo hunt predators all over the mountains of NW Montana. Last year I added a Zoleo satellite device to my pack. Cheap insurance for $20 a month!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back