Motion sickness?

Pucky Freak

I have had a driving discomfort problem develop starting a couple year ago, and recently it has become much worse, to the point of being a barrier to future NR hunting trips.

The problem: When driving at 50+ mph I sometimes get this sensation that the vehicle is rocking or lurching dramatically L and R. When I watch the lines on the freeway I can verify that the vehicle is not actually lurching. It feels a bit like the steering wheel is not very responsive to the minor movements I make to keep the vehicle moving in a straight line. It feels like I do not have very good control of the vehicle, which is very uncomfortable when travelling at high speeds. The problem is worse when driving in a crosswind and gusts actually do move and rock the vehicle a little bit. If I am a passenger in the vehicle there is no problem at all. I've been driving for 24 years, and have never had any kind of issue previously.

This first started a couple years ago when driving cross-country on the interstate. It only resurfaced when driving long stretches on the interstate, like at least 2+ hours continuously. Before my WY trip last month I replaced the shocks on my truck, thinking this might help. It didn't. I also thought about getting a different vehicle to see if that helped. After I wrecked my truck last month I rented a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee to drive across NE and the problem was as bad as ever. I had to pull over and take breaks because it was so uncomfortable to drive at times. Sometimes I could drive comfortably for an hour or two, but other times it ranged from moderately to severely uncomfortable.

Now on my latest vehicle, Honda Accord, the problem is present more than half the time I get up to highway speed after just a few minutes. I can manage my short daily commute to work. However, any drive of 60+ miles now present a significant challenge.

I can't tell if it is anxiety, motion sickness, or perhaps an inner ear problem. Perhaps it is something different entirely, or a combination of issues. I'm thinking of trying Dramamine on my next long drive to see if it helps. I've taken that for winding roads and sea sickness in the past and it's worked great.

If that doesn't work, I wouldn't know where to try next. Mental health professional? ENT? My family doctor? Any other suggestions on what to try? Any experienced or heard of this issue or something similar?

100% a trip to the doctor for me. Never had it driving before, as a passenger yes, never when I was in control.

There are all sorts of remedies for motion sickness if that's truly what it is. I was prescribed some behind the ear patches for severe motion sickness before a deep-sea fishing trip. I've popped dramamine like it was candy. Problem with them is they tend to make me a bit sleepy, wouldn't want to be popping them all day on a drive.

Good luck man, let us know what you decide!

Make your wife drive.

It’s like not knowing how to cook, paint or fold laundry. You know, stuff that we just are not successful at.

For me, being the driver significantly reduces/eliminates motion sickness. @Pucky Freak I think you were saying that you are OK as a passenger, but not while driving? How about not sitting in the front seat as a passenger? (Put me in the back row of a 15 passenger van on a rough road, and I'm likely to turn as green as the Hulk)

I agree with Hunting Wife that this seems different from "standard" motion sickness. I'm glad you've thought about a physician consult. And if I may, please realize that with "weird" symptoms, you have to keep seeking answers, as many a disinterested doctor who isn't interested to keep digging for answers will blow you off.

Just as an aside, @Pucky Freak have you had any experience with Virtual Reality 3D goggles? Would that give the the same feeling of lurching or rocking? My money is on a visual related component to your symptoms. And my advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it.

.....and PS

For motion sickness sufferers, scopalomine patches are the bomb! The first time I ever used it was when flying in a six-seater airplane. It was a bumpy three hours with absolutely no motion sickness symptoms at all. It also works for me when water skiing. Even with rookie skiers, where the boat is starting/stopping and doing 360's to drag the tow rope back to the skier all afternoon, no appearances by the Hulk.

This was helpful, especially “Feeling as if you are floating”. That is part of the experience - a sensation like gravity mostly gives way and the chassis is lightly bouncing around on the frame.

My money’s on inner ear problem of some sort. Planning to call PCP tomorrow and make an appointment. Thanks, everyone

My guess is inner ear and/or visual issue. I’d go to the doc.
Oddly enough, vision seems OK. The visual cues of stationary objects outside the car are the #1 thing that helps convince myself the cab isn’t bouncing around like it feels it is. If PCP refers me to eye doc I will plan to follow through though

Similar but not quite the same, an uncle had an inner ear infection that rendered him useless for a summer. It took a bit for his issue to clear up. Hopefully yours is something simple.

Just as an aside, @Pucky Freak have you had any experience with Virtual Reality 3D goggles? Would that give the the same feeling of lurching or rocking?
This right here. I’ve had the same sort of motion sickness you describe while at a 3d movie. The screen was bigger than my prescription glasses, so I was seeing a portion of the screen without the benefit of my corrective lenses, while also seeing part of the screen through my glasses. Screwed me all up on several occasions. I end up spending the majority of the movie in the lobby trying to keep my food down.

Weird thing is, it’s only at 3d movies. Regular movies on the same size screen are A-OK.

OK, I have to laugh....You came to a hunting forum for medical advice BEFORE going to a real doctor? LOL....Go to a doctor....period. :)

I had the same issue not only when driving but when I was at work and walking. I finally found some relief in using ear candles. I know it sounds crazy, but the removal of the ear wax helped drastically. Still follow up with the doc for the sake of your health. It's also a possibility that their might be some ptsd from your accident especially if you suffered a concussion minor or otherwise. Just a few thoughts. I really hope you get bit sorted partner.

Probably should get off the mayonnaise.....
Or don’t put it in your ears. 😜

.....and PS

For motion sickness sufferers, scopalomine patches are the bomb! The first time I ever used it was when flying in a six-seater airplane. It was a bumpy three hours with absolutely no motion sickness symptoms at all. It also works for me when water skiing. Even with rookie skiers, where the boat is starting/stopping and doing 360's to drag the tow rope back to the skier all afternoon, no appearances by the Hulk.

I tried this once for motion sickness during flights I have to do for work. Man, I know it works wonders for some people but it was terrible for me. Put the patch on the night before flights, and when I got up in the morning I was so dizzy I couldn't walk. Literally felt like that game where you spin around the baseball bat and then try to run. I was falling against walls trying to walk around the house. It scared the crap out of me…I’ve never been so out of control of my body. Couldn’t walk straight, couldn’t drive. It was terrible. I had to take it off after the first day because I couldn’t function.

Back