Most unorthodox, questionable, or down right weird hunting techniques that you have seen or heard about

This one wasn't a successful hunting technique but could have been. During late in the season with a hard winter, we noticed a flock of Canada geese on the railroad tracks. We set up the sneak but when we got there they were a mile farther down the tracks. We reset two miles down the tracks and got the same result. That happened for a couple of days with no success.

We finally figured out that every day around three the Minnesota corn train went through dribbling corn down the tracks. The geese would land on the tracks and run picking up corn kernals on the trip. If we had had more time we should have set up and let them run to us the next day.

All I know is I have a buddy in MO who I traded elk hunt for a whitetail hunt. I sat for four days in different stands. The fourth night I decided to walk through the nearby woods. I killed my first whitetail. Maybe I walk quietly.

He walked his ass off up and down canyons and killed an elk. That's how we get it one out west.

Fair enough. There is no one size fits all way of doing things.

The difference in the average density of vegetation in Missouri and the average density of the palmetto swamps of Louisiana is kind of like comparing Missouri to Montana. Different situations call for different techniques.

There is no quiet in the thick palmetto, just varying degrees of loud. Even the deer make racket in there.

The natives here hunted burns of their own making or hunted on leaning trees or huge logs to get up out of the canebrakes and palmetto thickets.

It was right after season opener for deer. This guy at work went hunting (in my zone). I asked him if he had any luck. He says no, just a couple of brush shots. I asked what a “brush” shot was. He says, “ You know, you hear something in a bush, you shoot into the bush, but nothing comes of it”. I gave him shliatt, telling him how stupid and dangerous that was. It’s that kind of thing that makes the whole country think all us Californians are that stupid.
I’ve heard that before but I thought it was just talk! That just plain scary.

Right across from Joe Biden’s home there is a neighborhood of million plus dollar homes and behind on of my clients houses is a double bull blind. A woman uses this blind to hunt whitetails with her crossbow. The unusual part is her method of going in to the blind in the afternoon and hunting till dark then sleeping in the blind till morning ,hunting the morning then going home for the day. With all the new security I am interested to see if she will hunt it this year.

Right across from Joe Biden’s home there is a neighborhood of million plus dollar homes and behind on of my clients houses is a double bull blind. A woman uses this blind to hunt whitetails with her crossbow. The unusual part is her method of going in to the blind in the afternoon and hunting till dark then sleeping in the blind till morning ,hunting the morning then going home for the day. With all the new security I am interested to see if she will hunt it this year.
She better be careful Joe Biden doesn’t mistake that double bull blind for the whitehouse and end up with him cozied up smelling her hair all night.

Reaping turkeys. I know of WAY too many cases of people shot in the face.

Baiting squirrels by smearing peanut butter on trees.

Pavlov-ing deer by blowing a whistle before dumping out piles of corn training the deer to come to the whistle.

A particularly successful one was a guy that was hunting in the thickest, densest, nastiest rhododendron and mountain laurel patches in the state. He hunted by belly crawling through the deer and bear trails (picture 3ftx 3ft tunnels picture below) smashing rattling antlers and blowing on a grunt tube. Deer unable to see in the dense jungle would have to run in to point blank range where he'd be there waiting. He and his son killed a giant buck or bear every year.

Attachments

• 7051242_medium_1555692408.jpg
    7051242_medium_1555692408.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 27
When I was pretty young (5 or so) I used to here stories about a old timer that would take a push mower and put it in the middle of a field. He'd start it, then sit in his stand.
Evidently the deer get curious enough after so long to come look
I'm going to try this and see if my neighbors get curious enough to mow my lawn.

I read an article about a guy recently who is trying to persistence hunt a pronghorn, i.e. run after them until they're gassed and then spear one. I think he is an idiot.
I think I listened to a podcast about a guy trying to do this in Wyoming a few years ago. He said he never could catch them because at times they would join other Pronghorn while running and then split up again. This confused the runner and he would end up chasing a different Pronghorn with a fresh set of legs. Great tactic by them Pronghorns.

Surprised theres not more coyote hunting posts on here . Around here, a group of trucks 4-15 trucks will drive around at first light after a snow fall all talking on 2 way radios , often CB or VHF , some even some groups have private band. Each small town around here has their own "group" and leaders. Most member even have dedicated coyote hunting trucks that are meant for bahaing through corn fields ditches ect... When one of the members finally sees a coyote , the rest of the group gathers round the section ( 1x 1 mile square) with there trucks and 2-3 trucks drive in the sections honking and "shooting out " the ditches or timber pockets. Shooting out is taking your highpower rifle and popping a few rounds in the ditch or a tree echoing out the timber or ditch in hopes the coyote runs out often out the window of a moving vehicle. SKS / AK47s / AR 15s/ and 22-250s weapons of choice. . When or if the coyote runs out, the radio goes nuts on what direction it heads, trucks fly all around that direction with guns out the windows in hopes of cutting off or shooting the coyote. Usually old wiley coyote will double back 2 or 3 times creating quite the redneck rodeo and radio circus. About every group has a guy with a bullet hole through the floor board, through the hood or through the truck mirror along with a few totalled truck stories through out the year.

To add to this , late muzzleloader deer season also runs during this time. You can about imagine in all the shooting and driving out sections big ol whitey usually comes out and questionable morale and ethics ensue in hunting these deer. Coyotes dont bother me much but I HATE seeing big bucks killed and knowing they were muzzleloader / coyote hunting . Wish theyd ban 2 way radios during muzzleloader season......

Surprised theres not more coyote hunting posts on here . Around here, a group of trucks 4-15 trucks will drive around at first light after a snow fall all talking on 2 way radios , often CB or VHF , some even some groups have private band. Each small town around here has their own "group" and leaders. Most member even have dedicated coyote hunting trucks that are meant for bahaing through corn fields ditches ect... When one of the members finally sees a coyote , the rest of the group gathers round the section ( 1x 1 mile square) with there trucks and 2-3 trucks drive in the sections honking and "shooting out " the ditches or timber pockets. Shooting out is taking your highpower rifle and popping a few rounds in the ditch or a tree echoing out the timber or ditch in hopes the coyote runs out often out the window of a moving vehicle. SKS / AK47s / AR 15s/ and 22-250s weapons of choice. . When or if the coyote runs out, the radio goes nuts on what direction it heads, trucks fly all around that direction with guns out the windows in hopes of cutting off or shooting the coyote. Usually old wiley coyote will double back 2 or 3 times creating quite the redneck rodeo and radio circus. About every group has a guy with a bullet hole through the floor board, through the hood or through the truck mirror along with a few totalled truck stories through out the year.

To add to this , late muzzleloader deer season also runs during this time. You can about imagine in all the shooting and driving out sections big ol whitey usually comes out and questionable morale and ethics ensue in hunting these deer. Coyotes dont bother me much but I HATE seeing big bucks killed and knowing they were muzzleloader / coyote hunting . Wish theyd ban 2 way radios during muzzleloader season......
This sounds like hell.

This sounds like hell.
Its basically organized crime at its best , usually one guy had permission 2 years ago so that means the whole group does and gets to drive on that land. In and out in 10 minutes and onto the next section. Farmers cant keep up with it , and the ones that dont let you on your land , their land gets "shot out " from the fenceline or road . The deer are extremely jumpy this time of year too due to getting hunted and shot at in the regular gun seasons.

Its basically organized crime at its best , usually one guy had permission 2 years ago so that means the whole group does and gets to drive on that land. In and out in 10 minutes and onto the next section. Farmers cant keep up with it , and the ones that dont let you on your land , their land gets "shot out " from the fenceline or road . The deer are extremely jumpy this time of year too due to getting hunted and shot at in the regular gun seasons.
Man that is insane. This would last about 15 minutes in South Georgia

All that to shoot a coyote? LOL.

Man that is insane. This would last about 15 minutes in South Georgia

All that to shoot a coyote? LOL.
Yep hell even some of the local farmers and landowners are in on it . They do shoot up to 15-18 coyotes a day though. This is only when the snow falls and the grounds frozen and crops are out .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back