Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Most unorthodox, questionable, or down right weird hunting techniques that you have seen or heard about

G

Guest member 25165

I used to frequent another hunting forum back in the day and there was a member that claimed the night before gun season, he would sneak out in the marsh and strategically place wind up alarm clocks to go off at different times, signaling an audible deer drive if you will, to get the animals moving towards him.

With hunting season approaching, anyone have any unorthodox, questionable, or downright weird hunting strategies that they have heard or seen during the season?

Knew guys who’s dad bought a high dollar property that hadn’t been hunted hard at all. Job one was to thin the does. The sons loved to bow hunt. One would drive a golf cart with the other on back. When a deer was spotted, the cart would keep rolling but the hunter on back would drop off. The deer usually watched the cart roll by if it didn’t stop. While the deer watched the cart, the shooter drew and slung an arrow.

It was right after season opener for deer. This guy at work went hunting (in my zone). I asked him if he had any luck. He says no, just a couple of brush shots. I asked what a “brush” shot was. He says, “ You know, you hear something in a bush, you shoot into the bush, but nothing comes of it”. I gave him shliatt, telling him how stupid and dangerous that was. It’s that kind of thing that makes the whole country think all us Californians are that stupid.

I posted this on a different thread as well but I think it fits here too. I know a guy who takes out two crossbows with him when he hunts during the rut. He is afraid that having a cocked crossbow sitting idle all day will ruin it so every few hours he takes the cocked crossbow, uncocks it, lets it sit, then gets the second one set up for the next couple hours.

Ever hear of a "Castle hunt".
Many shooters are assigned a standing area, but only if you're dressed in the proper attire.
Then drivers push a gob of pheasants to the shooters.
Devon deer may know of this first hand I have just heard of it.

My sisters old boyfriend used to hunt with us he was a real dumbass. He was new to hunting , a sloppy drunk and liked to think he was gonna be on shark tank. One shitfaced night he told us how he wanted to mount a pie plate on a string and pull the string to scare deer that were out of range his way. The next night we went out for dinner and a few beers I paid the bartender $20 and asked her to get him drunk enough to not be able to hunt in the morning. She tried her best shot after shot. Next morning I figured ahh a day of peace. Wouldn't you know it here he came stumbling out to the truck still half lit ready to go....son of a bitch.

Ever hear of a "Castle hunt".
Many shooters are assigned a standing area, but only if you're dressed in the proper attire.
Then drivers push a gob of pheasants to the shooters.

Devon deer may know of this first hand I have just heard of it.

You can go on an English style driven hunt around here if you're willing to part with a couple G's.

Growing up in SC, the Savannah River Site dog drive deer hunt always seemed "different"....never tried it.

Sign up, show up, get on bus, get dropped off at stand....at specified time they let the dogs loose and after that if it's brown it's down. Collect your winnings from the fridge truck after radioactivity testing.

Knew guys who’s dad bought a high dollar property that hadn’t been hunted hard at all. Job one was to thin the does. The sons loved to bow hunt. One would drive a golf cart with the other on back. When a deer was spotted, the cart would keep rolling but the hunter on back would drop off. The deer usually watched the cart roll by if it didn’t stop. While the deer watched the cart, the shooter drew and slung an arrow.
Guy who taught me most I know about bow hunting told me back in the day he used to have someone drive him to his stand with a four wheeler and he would slip off and the deer would be focused on the four wheeler as long as it kept moving. I believe that one probably worked judging by the number of whitetail racks on his walls.

Growing up in SC, the Savannah River Site dog drive deer hunt always seemed "different"....never tried it.

Sign up, show up, get on bus, get dropped off at stand....at specified time they let the dogs loose and after that if it's brown it's down. Collect your winnings from the fridge truck after radioactivity testing.

You didn’t hunt with a guy name Charles Jones down there did you? I know he hunted the Savannah River area a lot. May have gone by the name Buckshot among the other hunters.

Guy who taught me most I know about bow hunting told me back in the day he used to have someone drive him to his stand with a four wheeler and he would slip off and the deer would be focused on the four wheeler as long as it kept moving. I believe that one probably worked judging by the number of whitetail racks on his walls.
I've heard of similar tactics being applied to antelope in WY. (Or lions in Africa for that matter...Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter)

Probably works well.

Also heard of walking in with a group of hunters to drop one off and the others walk away talking loudly....bc deer don't count so good.

You didn’t hunt with a guy name Charles Jones down there did you? I know he hunted the Savannah River area a lot. May have gone by the name Buckshot among the other hunters.
No, I never made it down there....usually hunted middle of the state or upstate.

Not really a tactic but a friend of a friend decided to pick up hunting and this guy did not know how to whisper or even be quiet in the slightest bit. He would walk loud and talk loudly all the time. He went off by himself singing as he went.
The craziest thing is that this dork was consistently successful. It would drive us nuts.

It was right after season opener for deer. This guy at work went hunting (in my zone). I asked him if he had any luck. He says no, just a couple of brush shots. I asked what a “brush” shot was. He says, “ You know, you hear something in a bush, you shoot into the bush, but nothing comes of it”. I gave him shliatt, telling him how stupid and dangerous that was. It’s that kind of thing that makes the whole country think all us Californians are that stupid.
Been considering telling people this when I see them in the areas I like to hunt I think it would cut the pressure way down in the area. 🤷🏼‍♂️

When I was a kid, way too many years ago to say, but.
The feds would drive the elk out of Yellowstone with copters, as soon as they crossed the yellow line on the highway you could shoot them, what a mess, You did not need a gun just running shoes and a tag.

My dad knows a guy who used to bribe all the poor kids in town to get in his van during gun season and he would drop them off at the edge of a corn field. He gave them all old blaze orange vests, sweatshirts, etc. (all adult sized mind you) and told them to get in a line and push the corn field towards where the guy in the van would be sitting. If the kids pushed a deer to him and he shot it, he would take the kids to the local bowling alley for a bottle of soda pop and some candy. He always did this on other people's property.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back