Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

most reliable lever gun pressure signs

MThuntr

I'm going to try a couple new bullets for which there is very little information...the 276 and 300gr Sledge Hammers in my 45-70 1895 SBL. Historically I've had load data to base decisions off and often find myself using mild loads based on this information to be clear in the safe but since these 2 bullets don't have a lot of info out there I was curious what you guys feel is the most reliable sign of pressure. I'm not looking to push the edge just need help finding it for load data. I know some people say to follow known expected velocities and others mention extraction but I'm told once you get to tough extraction you're already in a dangerous situation.

Thoughts?

Work up carefully and inspect each case on the way up and watch for primer flattening. This article gives lots of good info/pics.

I would talk to Steve at Hammer. A lot of traditional pressure signs are associated with modern high-pressure cartridges, 50,000 psi or higher. .45-70 is a much lower pressure cartridge and by the time you have loaded it hot enough to develop traditional pressure signs you are likely well above any safe load for a Marlin action. There is published data for 300 grain Barnes mono bullets, might give you a place to start.

I would talk to Steve at Hammer. A lot of traditional pressure signs are associated with modern high-pressure cartridges, 50,000 psi or higher. .45-70 is a much lower pressure cartridge and by the time you have loaded it hot enough to develop traditional pressure signs you are likely well above any safe load for a Marlin action. There is published data for 300 grain Barnes mono bullets, might give you a place to start.
Yep. And he just worked through a .30-30. Or go to his forum. Lots if sharp guys there. mtmuley

I would start with barnes data if Steve isn't able to help you. You'll have to go off velocity, I've heard everywhere from 42,000psi to 46,000psi in the Marlins with the 45-70 case head diameter. I would err on the lower side of that. You wont start seeing pressure signs until at least 55k.

Pressure signs in a lever action. All the years I've been reloading I have never loaded for a lever action rifle. I would think at the lower pressure most them operate at, the first good sign would be a blown up rifle! You said there's no data for the bullet's you want to use. I have an idea you could make data with a heavier bullet you have data for. Myself I'm a bit of a coward and wouldn't try to load a bullet I didn't have data for. Well did that one time when I got my 6.5x06 and tell ya what, it was a scarry ride till I got a new Hornady manual with data for it in there. I wouldn't care to do that again!

Back